Hello and Happy Sunday my friends!
I’m in Los Angeles helping my parents celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary! This picture sums up my dad giving my mom a little bit of a hard time and my mom ignoring / laughing about it. If that isn’t the secret to a long and happy marriage then what is it? Separate bathrooms? That too.
By the time you read this I’ll be on a plane back south because I have to keep it moving… but I’m headed home with so much gratitude for my parents and the lifetime of memories we get to create together. It’s all so much for than I’d know how to ask for.
It’s Mother’s Day and I hope you’re honoring that in a way that feels good. Aside from Mother’s Day it’s also Sunday and I hope you find at least a few moments of good rest today.
The offering this week is below. The invitation is to take what you need and leave the rest:
• Here’s what’s going on: The ‘heartbeat’ bill that could ban almost all abortions, explained. (Vox)
• This week’s long read is about a Louisiana reality that is really hard to fathom: This Is Cancer Town. (The Guardian)
• Please: The Nature Cure. (Outside)
• The power and fortitude of mothers and, not surprisingly, What ‘Good’ Dads Get Away With. (The New York Times)
• Mothers Have Been Complaining About Mother’s Day Breakfast in Bed for More than Half a Centure. Why Does It Go On? A very important question. (The Kitchn)
• ICON: Dr Ruth. (The Atlantic)
• I listened to this episode of Oprah’s Super Soul Conversations with Tara Westover (the author of Educated), and I was leveled. She speaks really honestly about the dynamics of abusive relationships and about how to situate love in the midst of really challenging relationships. (Apple Podcasts)
• Should we read this? How to Do Nothing: Resisting The Attention Economy. (Amazon)
• How The Hell Has Danielle Steel Managed To Write 179 Books? I’m buying myself more chocolate and cashmere immediately. (Glamour)
• Juts a humble shirt I think we all deserve: Culinary Goddess. (Etsy)
• There are a lot of incredible looks here but Jared Leto and… his head…. really takes the cake. 37 People Who Really Committed To Their Look At The Met Gala This Year. (Buzzfeed)
• Today’s breakfast suggestion: Savory French Toast. (Joy the Baker)
Have the most lovely day.
Happy Mother’s Day to you.
My love to you.