It’s late Saturday and I’ve, oddly enough, found a cozy spot in my closet to write today’s Sunday post. All is well (right?) and there’s a coziness being surrounded by sweaters and aprons. Also… it’s a small walk-in closet so things aren’t as dramatic as they sound over here.
All of my energy this weekend is going into Bakehouse workshops. Today was some pretty stellar Drake on Cake work and Sunday we’re making Berry and Apple Pies. Six of them, to be sure. Does it get better than this? If it does, don’t tell me about it just yet.
Um. I turn 38 next weekend. Weird because I’m pretty sure my mom is 38 so somewhere the math is wrong.
How are you? Real question. Are you steady and well? Well-rested and ready? That’s my hope.
The offering is here for you. The invitation is to take what you need and nothing more:
• By now we all know that several states within the United States are challenging women’s health rights with the ‘heartbeat bill’. It’s never not a scary time to carry these female bodies around the world. I’ve been struggling lately to understand the WHY of all of this. It’s not out of regard for human life – if it were wouldn’t it also make sense to talk about making contraception super accessible, making reliable healthcare achievable for everyone, more subsidized child care, and investing in, you know, education!? I really struggle with understanding why some people think themselves the authority over something so deeply difficult and personal. And – for anyone whose typing fingers are burning to comment, say what you will but this isn’t a place where I care to have a debate. A Direct Challenge to Roe v. Wade in Alabama. There’s a plan. (The New York Times, The Daily)
• This week’s longread is talk of Tony Robbins. You know the dude – this country’s most famous self-help guru. Remember all the trampoline work in I Am Not Your Guru? Well here we are: Unlimited Power. I suddenly feel the need to google the phrase ‘cult of personality’ to make sure I understand it correctly. (Netfliz and Buzzfeed)
• This perspective struck me: Who Gets To Call Herself a Single Mom? (InStyle)
• In these dark times I’ve been piling on and binge-listening to Crime Junkie Podcast. It’s honestly really great if you’re into torturing yourself with stories of the missing and murdered? Am I ok? Sure, mostly. Also… ok here’s one more thing – do you have an If I Go Missing file? Something with all your information and usual habits and passwords? Don’t worry mom – I share my location with you, remember? (Crime Junkie Podcast)
• I also really needed to read this perspective this week: Don’t Use My Family For Your True Crime Stories. (CrimeRead)
• I’m hoping to take a weeklong drive through California in June to see Big Sur for the first time. This little guide is helpful: California Highway 1: Los Angeles to Big Sur.(Salt and Wind)
• The second season of Fleabag is here for us just in time. This show is so honest and poignant in a big way. (Amazon)
• Jon Jon made this absolute gem and the next time I take out my bundt pan, here’s what’s going in it: Peanut Butter Chocolate Doughnut Cake. (The Candid Appetite)
• I’ve been craving a classic this week: Pasta Salad. Made it. No regrets. (The Kitchn)
• Current favorite cookbook: Ottolenghi Simple. (Amazon)
• There is some small good news this week: Everlane has a new jumpsuit for us! (Everlane)
Enjoy this lovely day!
My love to you –