Hello my dears!
Another steamy Sunday, welcome to it!
I spent this week home in New Orleans, watering and talking to my outdoor plants and watering and talking to my indoor cat. This weekend I’ve been in Austin Texas learning the art of pretzel making from the head dough-pincher at Easy Tiger. And while I find ease and excitement in travel, this weekend has kinda handed me a slice of humble pie. So many little travel things have gone sideways it’s a good reminder to be early and gracious and flexible. And to carry a small bag and a no-nonsense attitude, really.
I hope you’re well this week. Finding some rest where you can. Rolling with the changes as necessary.
The offering this week is below. I hope you find something unexpected. For now, I’m off to bed and off to make more pretzels tomorrow. Next week, cookies!
• What Americans Do Now Will Define Us Forever is writing that stems from another ugly week in politics and we must get together and insist we be and do better. (The Atlantic)
• Here’s our long-read for the week (and the old images are beautiful, too): Ed Dwight Was Set To Be The Fist Black Astronaut. Here’s Why That Never Happened. (The New York Times)
• This might feel like it’s coming out of left field but I watched The Book of Eli for the umteenth time last week which spurred a dinner conversation where I professed my deep love and appreciation for Denzel Washington. Do we need to talk about Glory? Man on Fire? Malcolm X? Flight? I’m ready to talk about all of them and more: The Denzel Washing Compendium. (The Ringer)
• Can a Mustard Bath Mend a Broken Heart? I firmly believe a bath solves most if not all problems and I do realize we’re going through a heat wave but bath season is always. See also: Warming Mustard Bath. (The Cut and Joy the Baker)
• Can our lady bodies (PLEASE) catch a break? Urinary Tract Infections Affect Millions. The Cures Are Faltering. Mmmkay would a mustard bath help though? (The New York Times) .
• I’ve been experimenting with these ‘sourdough’ chocolate chip cookies from Food52 recently and I’m working on my own version to share with you soon!
• Evan Kleiman is here to help us with our tomato cravings: Sun-dried tomatoes, the Mickey Rourke of food, get their second act. (Los Angeles Times)
• This week I made Vegan Parmesan Cheese and hey, I loved it. (Minimalist Baker)
• We work really hard at The Bakehouse to teach you and make you smile and it’s really the best thing I’ve done with my little career so far. We’re hosting another BakeAway weekend this coming Labor Day holiday and you’re welcome – very welcome! (The BakeAway Nola)
• Here’s a summer cupcake moment: Double Chocolate Sunflower Cupcakes! (Joy the Baker)
• My google search history is a wild ride but here’s a gem from this week: “Craig’s pillows, Southern Charm”: Does Craig from ‘Southern Charm’ Still Make Pillows? He’s Proving All The Haters Wrong. (Bustle)
• Brussels sprouts sun, creamed corn rising, celery moon. Here’s your vegetable soul mate based on your zodiac. (The Kitchn)
Enjoy your Sunday!
My love to you!