Hello my dears.
Welcome to your Sunday. Or your Monday. Welcome to it, wherever this finds you.
I spent the week in Los Angeles celebrating my dad’s 70th birthday (he’ll always be 45 to me) and hustling around town taking meeting about a project that may or may not see the light of day. Sometimes you’ve got to throw your hands up but stay on the hustle. Both things can coexist.
I’m headed to Ireland (IRELAND!) for a very quick trip this week. I’ll be wearing flannel, milking a cow, and learning how they make Bailey’s Irish Cream. I’m taking all the adventure I can as it comes.
I hope you’re settling into the idea of fall. Buckle up. It’s all Halloween candy and pumpkin spice everything for the next few weeks before we dive head on into the holidays. Are we ready? Distinctly not.
The offering this week is below. As always, take what you need:
• These sweet baby angels. A Second Chance: Twelve years ago, 47 dogs were saved from Michael Vick’s dogfighting operation and allowed to live. They’ve enriched the lives of countless humans and altered the course of animal welfare. (The Washington Post)
• There’s a name for what we’re doing: spiritual consumerism. (The New York Times)
• That’s gonna be a NO from me. Russians Who Propose At Gunpoint. (BBC)
• Currently listening to Talking to Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell on audiobook and I highly recommend. Get a sense of the book by listening to this conversation between Oprah and Malcolm on Super Soul Conversations. (Amazon / Stitcher)
• On the reading list next – Let My People Go Surfing: The Education of a Reluctant Businessman. The story of Yvon Chouinard, the founder of Patagonia. (Amazon)
• The Push to Make Fake Butter Cool (Again) – call it plant-based. I mean… let’s all just do what we want, ok? But I’ll probably still be over here with my butter, mostly. (Vice)
• Can we please discuss Hash Brown Casserole? (The Kitchn)
• Zoe Bakes is coming to The Bakehouse this fall! Together we’re teaching two more advanced baking workshops. Open to anyone looking for a challenge! Puff Pastry and Advanced Pie Crust Techniques! (Eventbrite)
• You’re still welcome to sign up for my Baking Basics newsletter with the Washington Post! Whenever you sign up you’ll get the first newsletter in your inbox so you’re not missing a thing! (The Washington Post)
• Have you seen Hustlers? It’s worth it for Jennifer Lopez’s pole dance alone. She’s 50. She’s… 50 years old. Everything Jennifer Lopez Does in a Day. (Vanity Fair)
• Cats are gonna cat. Also… this is basically the size of my cat and a good reminder that I live with a lion. (The Guardian)
Have a wonderful Sunday.
If you want to follow along on some of my Ireland adventures, I’ll be on Instagram.
My love to you,