Hello, friends! Happy Sunday!
If I’m being honest, I don’t know what I think this week. I’ve head my head in recipes and food styling all week and that’s what I know. I know I mostly kept up with laundry and “swimming”. I know I didn’t keep up with text messages and emails. I know the world spun around with talk of vaccines and TikTok and something about Gamestop (and those last two I couldn’t keep track of). I know I taught 161 people how to make the swirly King Cake pictured above with The Bakehouse Live. I know I did every bit of my best and I’m sure you did too.
The offering this week is below. Take only what you need. Please be sure to take time to rest today.
• We really miss all the people we sort of know: The Pandemic Has Erased Entire Categories of Friendships (The Atlantic)
• This is my favorite read of the week: Jim Haynes: a man who invited the world over for dinner (BBC)
• My next audiobook listen is going to be the late Cicely Tyson’s Just As I Am. (Amazon)
• Did Everyone Buy a Guitar in Quarantine or What? I bought a piano and even though I’m not very good, sitting down to learn a new song brings me a lot of peace. (Rolling Stone)
• We all know that Pellet Ice Is The Good Ice. (The New Yorker)
• Ok have you watched Bling Empire on Netflix yet? It’s frivolous and over the top and exactly what I demand of my reality television. After binging the series I have several questions, mostly about the very mysterious and vvv rich Anna Shay. One of those questions: why were they doing fake yoga in her foyer on bath mats? The Cut asks a few more questions and the answers are both puzzling and satisfying.
• Scheming the care packages I’m going to send to friends this Valentine’s Day! (hellocarepackage.com)
• I like this Sno-Ball Canvas Kit that comes with a youtube painting tutorial. (Etsy)
• Currently craving: homemade apple fritters. Can we make them gluten-free? Of course we can. (Preppy Kitchen)
• I’ve been baking old fashioned Southern cakes all week for a food styling job for Swan’s Down (we love them, btw) Cake Flour. You mY find a few reimagined cake recipes here in the coming weeks because all I care about is making a Lady Baltimore and Black Forest Cake just a little more modern. (Swan’s Down)
• Next week I’m making pizzas in a RoccBox (I’m VERY excited) and I’m already thinking about my dough. I haven’t had much success with home pizza (thankfully I live near New Orleans’ best pizza) and I’m taking notes from Alexandra’s Kitchen.
My love to you today!