I woke up last Monday determined to get after it. The week prior felt lost to gloomy weather and equally gloomy body aches so I just let myself be. This week though? Sunshine and not a moment to lose. I visited with a few friends (one of them being my real estate agent because I’ve got big, cross-your-fingers-style plans in the works for The Bakehouse), I’ve eaten several pints of strawberries, I ironed new shower curtains, I swam and didn’t sink…. I did the dang thing.
Part of my motivation is that my parents (hi mom, hi dad!) are coming to visit New Orleans next week and I can’t have them thinking I’ve lived in a pigsty for all of 2020. To be fair, they lived with me for a cool 18 years so they know, better than anyone else, what I can do to a room.
This weekend at the Bakehouse we celebrated the wonder of spring strawberries down south by making strawberry pie together. And since I can’t sit still, I drove to Houston on Saturday afternoon to have a Sunday with Will – there will be motorcycle rides, fried chicken, and a pool.
We’re getting our energy back. Is that what’s happening?
I hope this finds you with a few quiet moments to yourself. This week’s reads are below and I think there are some real gems in here. Take only what you need and take good care.
• Go easy here. Tears come with this one, but this is for all of us. Who Are We Now? (The New York Times)
• This song came on while I read through the article above and naturally I burst into tears. Where Are You Now? by Mumford and Sons (Spotify)
• There just so much here and the truth is, it gives me hope: The Rise and Rise of Amanda Gorman (Vogue)
• Friend of the Show Kim Baldwin wrote the funniest piece I’ve read this year: Monday Morning Nudes. You obviously wrote very specifically about yourself Kim, but you wrote all of us and we thank you. I can’t tell you how many things my Mercury in Gemini has talked me into. I’m honestly surprised I haven’t robbed a bank by now. (Nashville Scene)
• I love the articles on Cup of Jo and I’ll leave this here for you: An Infertility Story (Cup of Jo)
• There’s a lot of openness here. It’s generous. I’m a Child of a Hoarder – And I’m Trying to Do Better for My Own Family (The Kitchn)
• #10 #21 #22 #27 35 Tiny Ways To Brighten Your Partner’s Day. (What’s Up Moms)
• I’m not a sneaker person but lemme keep up: Top Picks From A Sneaker Head (I Want To Be Her)
• Karlee’s Pancake Bread seems very pleasing to me. Makes me want to open a bakery in east Texas and serve this on Tuesdays. I dunno… the daydream was very specific. (Olive and Artisan)
• I’m making Minimalist Baker’s Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal this week. I love that it’s served by the slab in milk. Like cereal you can break up!
• Slowly working my wardrobe into exclusively Everlane stretchy pants and Pyne and Smith linen dresses for everyday / work and FarmRio and Teuta Matoshi dresses for going out and GOWNS. Next up, finding more excuses to wear gowns.
• If you were to go through my Google search history this week you’d find this: cat glass table. Get your kicks where ya can, right? (Google)
Have a wonderful day, friends. It means so much to me that you’re here.
My love to you.
Well now we need Tron on a glass table!