Friends, it’s Sunday! Feels good, doesn’t it?
How has your week been? I hope you’ve been vacationing – I feel like everyone has been vacationing.
This week, in the small work of living this life, I committed to eating the food from my fridge and pantry instead of grocery shopping. I have so much food in my pantry that I either don’t see or just ignore and instead of piling more food inside, I’ve cooked from the pantry all week. That means lots of lentils and canned beans, and I’ve pat myself on the back for using a jar of harissa I bought last year. Small stuff- I know.
I also happened to have chocolate chips in the pantry and you can guess how that went.
I hope you’re able to relax today. Take a few moments here. Here’s what I read this week, an offering:
• This won’t make you feel better about anything but I think you should read it anyway: A Haunting New Documentary About Anthony Bourdain (The New Yorker)
• I either meant to watch 20 Feet From Stardom when it came out or I sorely need a rewatch. Made by the same film maker as the Anthony Bourdain documentary, it’s a documentary about music’s greatest backup singers. Incidentally, being a backup singer is my dream career when I think of jobs that I’ll never get to do. (Amazon)
• This world is fascinating: The Dark Side of Chess (The New York Times)
• I loved reading this excerpt from my friend Amy’s memoir Let The Love Surprise You. I cried. My friend’s courage is even more than I knew. She’s also very funny. Also… BJ’s for goodness sake. (Catapult)
• I’m barely wearing any makeup these days but I still want to look fresh and glowy and honestly the humidity does half that work for me. I’ve also got these Luminizing Glow Drops on order. And I just ordered this glowy sunscreen to put on top of this mega Vitamin C serum and I like it all! (Versed)
• I think it’s time to pull out this ice cream maker. This is my ice cream maker – it’s self freezing (and pricey, I know – you have to make really want ice cream) which I think makes a big difference in homemade ice cream. I’m thinking I’ll make a batch of cookies and cream and a batch of Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream. (Williams Sonoma and Joy the Baker)
• I’m a sucker for brownie mix (I shamefully like a mix better than for scratch brownies) and these gluten-free and allergy friendly Brownies from Partake are, friends – SO GOOD! (Partake)
• We’re looking forward to a busy autumn at The Bakehouse. We’ll be adding classes to the schedule for the next month, but if you want to peek at the classes we have so far the list of classes is here for you. (Eventbrite)
• This week last year. Let It Be Sunday, 281! (Joy the Baker)
Have a wonderful day, friends. Thanks for being here with me.
My love to you.