A teeny tiny batch of lemon poppy seed muffins for you and your sweetie or you and you. Enjoy warm from the oven with a drizzle of lemon glaze and a big smear of softened salted butter.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon or so of lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons melted salted butter, plus more room temp butter for serving
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A teaspoon or so of poppy seeds
For the Glaze:
- A few big spoonfuls of powdered sugar
- A teaspoon or so of fresh lemon juice
- A few sprinkles of poppy seeds
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two holes of a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Great job.
- In a small bowl rub together sugar and lemon zest until fragrant. Whisk in the butter and egg yolk.
- In a small measuring cup whisk together buttermilk, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- Measure the dry ingredients on top of the butter mixture and stir together with a spatula until just barely combined. Stir in the buttermilk mixture along with poppy seeds. That’s your muffin batter – stir until no lumps or dry patches remain.
- Spoon into two muffin cups – it’ll feel full but that’s encouraged. Bake for 16 -18 minutes until cooked through. Allow to cool until just warm.
- Whisk together a quick glaze to your desired consistency. Drizzle over the warm muffins and serve with salted butter.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 390
- Sugar: 26g
- Sodium: 193.6mg
- Fat: 14.7g
- Saturated Fat: 8.5
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 59.6g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 6.3g