Hey friends! We’re gonna talk about cats. I’ve recently adopted an adult cat buddy named Wylie (that’s my handsomely whiskered man up there) and y’all. What was I doing before this? How did my life not include a cat until now?! I’m almost mad at myself for waiting this long. Part of my casual magical powers include babies and puppies. They just seem to… find me. It’s hard to explain but ask my friends, they’ll vouch for the vibes. I figured I’m a dog person through and through. Turns out I’m approaching cats all wrong. You approach dogs like extroverts – smile, sniff, and you basically have a buddy immediately. You approach cats like introverted adults – you sit across from each other staring until one of you says, “Blanket fort?” and THEN you have a buddy.
I am happy to be part of the cat lady movement. I really think it’s the secret to happiness. The stereotype of the cat lady is living without men and with a bunch of cats. Literal heaven! Also, if you have an orange cat, I hope you’re seeking therapy. You’re gonna be okay, and we’re here to support you.
It’s February and this month is jam packed with events. The Grammys, the Super Bowl, the more important Puppy Bowl, Valentine’s Day, Mardi Gras, AND Black History Month. Whew! So much to do, so little time. I hope this week’s links bring you a welcome break from this month’s impending busyness. As Joy always says, take only what you need. Let’s get into it!
• I know Kim waxed poetic about Aubrey Gordon’s new release, which was entirely appropriate, but when I have feelings about my body I turn to Ashley C. Ford. While this article isn’t new, her words about how her partner helped her see her body in a different way is always a balm. (Joy the Baker, Cup of Jo)
• New year, new book recommendations! You know I like a little spice so here’s a couple to get you through. Please tell me you’re on the Sarah J. Maas train because it is a-chuggin’. If you’re wanting a lady-lady romance, this shower scene will do things to ya I’m just saying. (Bookshop.org)
• Calling Harry Potter fans! We’re checking in on Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley), who is all grown up and showing us another facet of himself as an actor. It feels like an update on your little brother who now has an adult job and responsibilities. (Bustle)
• The brilliant Roxane Gay gives us a glimpse into Pam Anderson, of all people, and how she is writing her own story on her own terms. I love Roxane’s writing and this pulled me in instantly. (The Cut)
• I made just 2 chocolate chip cookies last week, and have made them 3 times since. Send help, but know I will not open the door to let anyone in. So. (Joy the Baker)
• Are you a fan of Keith Lee? He reviews restaurants around his home in Las Vegas and has genuinely exploded in popularity. If your restaurant gets a review by him it goes viral instantly and profits go up. I am part of the Keith Lee hive. (TikTok)
• Speaking of the hive, Beyoncé announced the dates for her world tour this year. Freaking out is not the appropriate term for how I’m feeling. Spiraling. I am SPIRALING. I will not be okay until I secure that ticket! (Instagram)
• Okay, I’m going to sound old, but where do you find tops? Seriously! I cannot find a top that is not a) a crop top, b) a bodysuit, or c) somehow both?! I mean sweater sets are coming back into fashion — I can’t do this! If you need me I’ll be in this dress praying the fashion cycle changes quickly. (Hanifa)