Christmas Morning Coffee Cake
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 50
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Christmas Morning Coffee Cake
- Makes 2 9×5-inch loaves
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, cut into medium chunks
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup fresh, squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
Topping and Filling
- 6 tablespoons Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus a splash of whole milk
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9×5-inch loaf pans. Line each loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving a few inches of overhang on each side. Grease the parchment paper and dust with flour on all sides. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add chunks of shortening and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal, about 1 minute.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir together to incorporate. Fold the cranberries and pecans into the batter.
- To make the topping, combine all topping ingredients in a bowl and rub together with your fingertips until crumbly.
- Divide the batter between the two loaf pans. Sprinkle each loaf pan with topping and use a knife to gently swirl the mixture into the batter. Place in the oven and allow to bake until the cake is golden brown and the center is cooked through. Insert a skewer into the center of the cake to ensure it’s baked through, approximately 50 to 60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pans for 15 minutes. Use the parchment paper to lift the loaves from the pan and allow to cool further on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze, whisk powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle over cooled coffee cake.
- Cake can be stored, well wrapped at room temperature for up to 5 days. This recipe makes a great gift for wonderful neighbors.