Some things are over the top for even me. Some things are so good that they actually hurt. I’m a real sucker for all chocolate and peanut butter combinations… but really!? Chocolate, peanut butter AND Rice Krispy Treats? Out of control. I think I pulled a baking muscle. These bars are so rich, so over the top, so peanut buttery, that I think I need to stick to only baking broccoli this weekend. I think I hurt myself.
These are just the treats I want to pawn off on my neighbors and coworkers. They’ll thank me, and they’ll hate me. I can live with that.
This recipe comes in three parts. Three crazy good, belly busting, lick the spoon over and over and over again parts. And they’re easy too! Yea.. this recipe is nothing but trouble.
I made these bars in a 9×13-inch pan and cut the bars into 1-inch squares, although I think even those were too large.
Rice Krispy Treats
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows
- – OR –
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispy Cereal (or any puffed rice cereal)
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.2. Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. ( You may want to line your pan with parchment paper or waxed paper large enough to have flaps hanging over the sides. This will make it easy to pull the giant block of goodness out of the pan when it’s done. I just forgot this step. But as recorded in the comments below, some people had trouble with the wax paper sticking to the Krispie treats. A well sprayed pan might just be your best bet!) Cool. Make Peanut Butter Fudge.
Peanut Butter Fudge
recipe from Alton Brown
- 1 cup butter, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla