Weekend Breakfast: Savory French Toast with Fried Egg
Can I shimmy my way into your weekend?
Can I wedge myself in if I come offering inspiration and encouragement?
Here’s the inspiration: Salty, savory, creamy, tender very fancy French toast that’s tremendously simple and satisfying and keeps you miles away (in satisfaction) from the Brunch line down the road.
Here’s the encouragement: Keep going / keep growing / but first breakfast with coffee / we’re human all the way.
Here’s what you need from your kitchen gather. Grab things that look like these:
• brioche bread, sliced thick, maybe fresh, maybe stale, maybe not brioche at all maybe just whatever bread you have on hand.
• eggs, large or whatever you have / whatever you like that is egg-like in structure and function.
• cream or milk or almond milk.
• fresh herbs like cilantro and parsley and scallions, maybe thyme, maybe chives, whatcha got (?) let’s do it!
• butter, definitely butter.
• salt and pepper and sriracha, maybe ketchup, maybe both, why not all?
Chop coarsely, whisk well, season generously… have you had your coffee yet?
Have some coffee.
Dip, melt, griddle fry.
Top with a fried egg, likely more butter, sriracha, and fresh herbs.
Happy Saturday! Do good.
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half, whole milk, or heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for serving
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh scallions
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for serving
- 4 thick slices brioche bread
- 2 fried eggs
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, dairy, salt, pepper, scallions, and parsley.
- Melt butter on a griddle skillet or nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Drip brioche in egg mixture, coating both sides.
- Transfer dipped bread to the heated skillet. Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Transfer slices to two plates, top with a pat of butter, fried egg, salt, pepper, and just a few more fresh herbs.
- Happy weekending!