Caramelized Banana Oatmeal Breakfast
There’s an alarming trend in food these days. It’s as though we’ve run out of things to put a fried egg on because now trendy breakfast places are putting fried eggs on their oatmeal.
Are you into this?
I’ve always used a bowl of breakfast oatmeal as an excuse for brown sugar… essentially as an excuse to make dessert out of breakfast. For this reason, I simply cannot accept a friend egg and a sauteed green on my oatmeal. If I’m going to egg and green through breakfast, I’m going to need a potato reward.
To amp up the dessert value of our breakfast, I’m adding warm caramelized bananas, up with ground cinnamon and toasted pecans, to warm oatmeal. Honey-swirled greek yogurt is the cooling factor to this hearty steel-cut oatmeal.
All of the extra slicing and caramelizing makes this breakfast feel extra special. Sweet. Not savory. I’m sticking to my brown sugar guns.
Here’s a fine place to start breakfast:
• ripe bananas
• steel cut oats: coarse and hearty
• honey swirled Greek yogurt
• cinnamon spice and butter for caramelizing banana slices
In a small saucepan I melted butter with brown sugar, salt, and a touch of cream. Over medium heat the mixture comes together into a warm bubbling dream. It’s luscious. Just add thickly sliced bananas and toss to soften, coat, and warm through.
Thick tart yogurt meets pourable raw honey.
For me… one of the best things in life.
Steel cut oats soak up a good amount of water to soften. The mixture will still be thick, not very sweet, and honestly… a little moppy. That’s the best word I have to describe it.
Layered for breakfast. Softened oats, caramelized bananas with a bit of the caramel, a big dollop of yogurt, and a sprinkling of cinnamon and pecans. It’s delicious… sweet and just right. While the bananas caramelize you may be tempted to add a splash of rum and set the whole thing on fire but we’re still breakfasting and we’ve got to keep it right and tight. The sweetness is treat indeed.
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- good pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or whole milk
- 2 diagonally sliced bananas
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ground cinnamon
- coarsely chopped toasted pecans
- Start by making the oats. In a medium saucepan, bring water to a simmer. Add the salt and stir in the oats. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until the oats have absorbed most of the water, about 20 minutes. The oats will the thick and almost milky looking. That's right! Set aside.
- To make the bananas, in a small skillet over medium heat, melt together butter, brown sugar, salt, and cream. Stir until smooth and just beginning to bubble. Reduce heat to low and add banana slices. Toss to combine and soften, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together yogurt and honey.
- To assemble the breakfast, divide the oats between two bowls. Top with bananas, dollop with yogurt, sprinkle with cinnamon and chopped pecans. Enjoy warm!