Let It Be Sunday, 176!
Can we all just take a big ol Sunday exhale together? (Can you tell I’m in yoga teacher training? All I do is breathe with people now – it’s the best.) We’ve made it to a day of rest and, gosh I hope you’re resting at least partly.
This week I volunteered in the kitchen with my friend and amazing pastry chef Lisa Marie White at Children’s Harbor, a summer camp for kids with serious illnesses. It was wonderful, and raucous, and kids love friend chicken, and cupcakes, and popping balloons in cavernous rooms. The bonus was that I got to do yoga on this floating dock on Lake Martin. Test out my balance, tamp down my ego.
On my drive back to New Orleans from Lake Martin I stopped at the Equal Justice Initiative’s National Memorial for Peace and Justice, a memorial dedicated to the victim’s of lynching in America. It’s deeply important and I hope you get the chance to visit.
It’s Father’s Day and I’m headed to Los Angeles to say hey to my pops and hope that he’ll cook for me at least once during my visit because he’s the best.
I hope this day finds you easy and resting. Here’s my offering for the week:
• I LOVE MY DAD’s pancakes. (Joy the Baker)
• Just so we’re clear, there is no law that determines that migrant children must be taken away from their parents at the border crossing. Inside The Former Walmart That Is Now a Shelter for More Than 1,500 Migrant Children. (New York Times)
• In what will be news to no woman: Pregnancy Discrimination Is Rampant Inside America’s Biggest Companies. (New York Times)
• The eternal question: Why Does Hungry Become Hangry. And trust me when I say that you don’t want to be the person to tell me to CALM DOWN unless you also have a bagel in your hand. (The Conversation)
• Just Write 500 Words. Ok… but after I do the dishes and have a sudden burst of energy to deep clean the bathroom. Just Write 500 Words. And then do it again and again, and once more again. (The Cut)
• I wrote last week about podcasts we’re listening to this summer and there’s a comment section full of fantastic suggestions! Let’s add In The Dark Season 2 to the list (see synopsis directly below)! (Joy the Baker and APMReports)
“Curtis Flowers has been tried six times for the same crime. For 21 years, Flowers has maintained his innocence. He’s won appeal after appeal, but every time, the prosecutor just tries the case again. What does the evidence reveal? And how can the justice system ignore the prosecutor’s record and keep Flowers on death row?”
• The latest Call Your Girlfriend episode is here to help us digest some of the madness of the week. (Call Your Girlfriend)
• File under: No Chill / No Grace. Instagram’s Wannabe-Stars Are Driving Luxury Hotels Crazy. (The Atlantic)
• Non-car-based non-comedies: Between Two Ferns with Jerry Seinfeld and (inexplicably) Cardi B. (YouTube)
• Whole30 Changed My Entire Relationship With Food Because I’m Dead Now. Mmmmhhhmm (McSweeney’s)
• Related – We have an important update to fried chicken: Pickle-Brined Fried Chicken, y’all!! (Tasting Table)
• I’m Fine. (Shrill Society)
• I mean… you never regret banana bread, right? (Joy the Baker)
Call your dad – you’re in a cult, (that’s a My Favorite Murder joke in case you’re concerned and sincerely think I’m accusing you of being in a cult. I mostly not.)