The first thing you should know is that it’s time for our THIRD installment of Baking Bootcamp with King Arthur Flour! Bring out your jazz hands. It’s about that time.
The second thing you should know is that we’re making the most delicious and chewy, salty and cheesy loaves. Like cinnamon rolls, hold the cinnamon, extra Gruyère and green olives.
The third thing you should know is that I always wanted to be a hand model so I’m beyond satisfied with myself here… that’s just my truth.
For our first baking bootcamp we piled berries high and braided bread for the Triple Berry Cinnamon Swirl Bread. You amazed me with your kitchen bravery.
For our second baking bootcamp we folded dough and made Apple Pie Biscuits. So stellar. You guys got all up in the season!
Now we’re taking a step to the savory side. Salty and soft. And we’re using an entirely new flour: King Arthur Flour’s Unbleached Bread Flour!
Here’s what we’ll need:
1 • King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour. High protein content for chewy and sturdy buns!
2 • I use this King Arthur Flour Bench Knife just about everyday in my kitchen. It’s perfect for scraping little dough bits from the countertop… something a sponge just pitifully attacks. You might also use the bench knife to slice though the center of the rolled dough. It’s sharp too! I love this tool!
3 • Kitchen fashion is important to me. Hedley & Bennett understands my needs for a functional, durable, totally chic apron. Not too frilly. I always want to be more badass than 50’s housewife-y in the kitchen.
4 • A good 9×13-inch baking pan is a kitchen staple. The new ones are nice, mine happen to be covered in years of kitchen rust. Part of the charm!
5 • Having Colorful Mixing Bowls is the kitchen equivalent of having a great black dress in your closet. Necessary treat.
6 • We’re going to need lots of medium shreds of Gruyere cheese. Box Grater to the rescue!
7 • I like a natural bristle kitchen brush in my arsenal. Great for egg washing biscuits and rolls!
8 • The Pyrex glass measuring cup. A forever kitchen classic.
9 • These wooden spoons just get better with time.
10 • Is it normal to have a completely mismatched set of Measuring Cups, or should I just treat myself to a matching set like this? Don’t answer that…
11 • Same goes for the Measuring Spoons… it’s nice to have a full matching set.
12 • I go through Paring Knives like I go through socks. How is it possible to have them one day and then lose them the next? I don’t know. Clearly I have an issue.
There are loads of resources to help you get from here to warm cheesy buns.
• All of these step-by-step photographs in the post were done by the incomparable Jon Melendez.
• Baking 101: The Difference Between Baking Flours for all the nitty-gritty on bran and germ and protein content.
• King Arthur Flour’s Baker’s Hotline is a fantastic resource for curious home bakers to discuss your fears, concerns and eventual successes. Give them a ring! It’s magic. 1-855-371-2253
Four Flours + Four Recipes Challenges + One Instagram #bakingbootcamp + Four Awesome Sets of Prizes!
The idea is simple!
• Make these Gruyère and Green Olive Rolls (they’re sooo delicious!) and take a picture of your creation!
• Follow @joythebaker and @kingarthurflour on Instagram
• Photograph your beautiful rolls and post them to Instagram with the hashtag #bakingbootcamp
• When you submit a photo, you’ll be entered to win a one year supply of King Arthur Flour and a Baking Essentials box valued at $250!! Official rules and details can be found here.
By entering the challenge you’ll also have amazing cheesy rolls in your kitchen, so… you really can’t lose.