I wish there was some sort of Willy Wonka-style candy factory that produced savory avocado delights instead of candy. In addition to that statement making me sound stone-cold craaaazy, the reality of that sort of factory would be absolutely AMAZING! Don’t lie. You want in.
I’d totally Veruca Salt my way all up in there. No shame.
Since there is no fantasy-land avocado factory I’ve settled for roasting a big ol’ bunch of cherry tomatoes, and tossing them (along with just a little too much feta) into a batch of creamy do-no-wrong guacamole.
Don’t roasted cherry tomatoes look a little bit like candy? If candy were vegetable.
Related and rhetorical: why won’t I shut up about candy!?
These avocados feel like a hot commodity here in the South. In California, they grow on trees (like money, and Jimmy Choos) and you always have a friend who complains about the random avocado tree littering their backyard with avocados. Oooooh how I long for such produce problems.
In-skin slicing, because we’re very smart and very efficient.
Cilantro and onions in the avocado bowl all for the mashing.
Coarsely chopped roasted tomatoes and big crumbles of feta are folded into the mashed avocado mixture.
Lots of fresh lime, salt, and pepper, too!
That was easy, wasn’t it!?
It’s natural to feel mostly like a magician.Print
- 1 heaping cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to roast
- 4 ripe Haas avocados, pitted and sliced into chunks
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely diced (a heaping 1/2 cup)
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- heaping 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- salt and pepper to taste
- corn chips for serving
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place tomato halves, cut side up, on the baking sheet. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast until bubbling and slightly wrinkled and dry, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven dan plow to cool on the pan until cool enough to handle. Place all of the tomatoes on a cutting board and coarsely chop.
- In a medium bowl, combine avocado chunks, onion, jalapeño, lime juice, and cilantro. Coarsely mash with a fork or a potato masher. Add tomatoes, feta crumbles, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Taste and season as necessary. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for about an hour before serving. Serve with corn chips.
- Serving Size: 4 servings