[I] was having one of those days where I was certain that everyone in the world around me was mostly thoughtless, unkind, and out to drive reeeeaallly slowly, and ruin my day. Turns out, if you feel like every single person around you is a dolt, it’s time to look within, get yourself a snack, and simmer all the way down. It’s not them; it’s you… or in my specific case, me. The cure to my crunchy day was a cup of coffee, a breakfast sandwich, and a stop to look at the beautiful blooming Magnolia trees.
I need to call my mom and say hello. It’s been too long and she’s probably getting worried. She’s also probably reading this… I’ll call you, Mom!
Here’s what the Internet wants us to know this week: it’s cold so we’re moving to Mars.
• What the heck is going on in Boston!? Boston’s Winter From Hell. Would it help if we sent them all of our sunshine and space heaters?
• My Own Life: Oliver Sacks On Learning He Has Terminal Cancer. “I feel a sudden clear focus and perspective. There is no time for anything inessential.”
• One Way Ticket To Mars. No, please.
• Life lessons from The Kitchn. We know this to be true, but we need a reminder: Five Times To Say “No Thank You” and Three Things To Do When You Hear It.
• Hey, you guys! Eggs Are Back (along with a list of new dietary guidelines)! Get excited. We’re all about whole foods and egg yolks. Full disclosure: I read this article while eating boxed mac and cheese, straight from the pot, at 12:21am. I’M DOING IT RIGHT. Stay tuned for Joy the Baker dietary guidelines. Coming soon.
• Let your brain soak up these election-style Oscar predictions.
• Shopping while hungry, beware! “Findings suggest that hunger creates an acquisitive mindset that encourages people to get more stuff in general—no matter if it is offered for free or carrying a price tag.” Hungry Makes You Buy More Stuff, Even If It’s Not Food.
• Quick note: Humans can only distinguish between about 30 shades of gray.
• Excuse me while I eat 100% of this Taco Salad.
• Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips. Don’t be mad at it.
I love you. Happy Sunday!
Thank you for the boston shout out! this has been one of the WORST winters in my 28 years in this city. And with SO many restaurants closed we tried to get out and support those that were open as much as possible. Chef’s and FOH staff really showed us what they were made of! Probably some of the best food I’ve ever had! Come visit us up here again!
I’m really late to this party but writing from Boston and, yes, it would be helpful if you could send sunshine and/or space heaters in any amount! This winter is just brutal. But hopefully, maybe, almost over. There are three days in the forecast for early next week with temps above 40 which for us is basically bikini weather.
Good luck with the move and kitchen unpacking. I love your food posts so much, but I love these “Let it Be” posts most of all. Especially when I’m bored and lonely at work, it’s like having a friend to chat with briefly. Thanks for writing!
I’m so glad to hear you eat boxed mac and cheese too! ;)
Hi Joy and fellow readers !!!
My name is Francisca, i am a pastry chef from chile ! and a JOY the baker´s fan since 2008!!
I am travelling to the states in June-july and will do a road trip with a friend starting in colorado, all the way to Yosemite, passing trough arizona, nevada, utah and also going to San Fran !! If you have any advice on cool coffee places, restaurants or any spots that are a MUST SEE please please let me know !!!! I would be so grateful for your tips and if you ever come to Chile ! let me know :D
Joy, do you read theskimm? It is a daily news update in a great readable format that I think you would enjoy. it is free and really entertaining. It reminds me of your lovely Sunday updates