We made it to the day of rest which means we’re entitled to sleep in and forget about the pile of dishes in the sink. I don’t know about you, but I had a doozy of a week. The kind that requires all of your patience and skill, and even a little help from your friends. I have a blog post I’ve had in the Drafts section of my blog (meaning it’s still a work in progress) titled On Having A Hard Time. It’s about… having a hard time. I’ve been waiting until I have more answers and solutions to post the dang thing but lately I’ve realized that it doesn’t work that way. The learning is always. The answers and solutions are elusive. We’re all just trying to figure this nonsense out. So, let it happen.
This week. Despite the doozy:
• I’ve been thinking a lot this month about James Foley, the journalist that was executed last year by ISIS. He went out in the world,sought dangerous places, and tried to find the truth for us. Watch this: James Foley on his capture and captivity in Gaddafi’s Libya.
• The Difference Between Empathy and Sympathy. Get down in the ditch and listen. I’m learning to be better all the time, aren’t you?
• How To Live Wisely, a college course.
• I don’t know much about football beyond the sound of crashing helmets and blown whistles. The rules and downs and flags confuse me, but I do love professional sports for the humanity that emerges. This is a great read: How Marvin Gaye’s NFL Try Out Changed His Career.
• Dinner and Deception. The thrill of the fine-dining dinner con.
• Don’t bother explaining yourself: How To Project Power.
• An Adult’s Guide To Snapchat. We’re working through this together. Trying to pick the pieces of your mind from the floor and carry on.
• Cinnamon Toast Milk Ice Cream from The Candid Appetite. He combined cold cereal with ice cream and really it’s just rude. Deliciously RUDE.
• A most lovely book cake out this week! Voracious by Cara Nicoletti. She also has a story here: What Wasn’t Said About An Hours D’oeuvre.
• Is the turtleneck the new blazer? Or wait… should we wear turtlenecks with our blazers all Murphy Brown style?
It’s a short list this week. I know. Would not be a good time for a nap? I thought so.
Just scrolling through your blog looking for ideas on something to make for Friendsgiving this weekend and I caught the link you shared for Cinnamon Toast Crunch ice cream. I made something like this back in 2012, but my version has an incredible thick cinnamon syrup that you swirl throughout the ice cream. Really out of this world!!
soft times…hard times…the roller coaster of life. hard times come to an eventual end
love your photo, amazing. where was it taken?
Sometimes silence speaks volumes. To you and all those struggling, hang in there ladies.
Hey Joy! I’m sorry you’re down…I’m with you on the whole hard times thing. I can’t wait to hear your insights on how to get through them, because I could seriously use some advice myself! I think it’s really great when someone as inspiring and talented as you are can get real with her audience…I so appreciate you and your blog, through the bad times just as much as the good! You are inspiring and awesome. Hang in there!
Been reading and enjoying your blog for a long time. I am not a commenter, but had to finally say how VERY much I enjoy your ” Let it be Sunday”
As someone also going through a hard time, I really loved/needed this post. Hang in there, and please keep up the Sunday posts. They’re a highlight of my week. xoxo