We made it to the day of rest which means we’re entitled to sleep in and forget about the pile of dishes in the sink. I don’t know about you, but I had a doozy of a week. The kind that requires all of your patience and skill, and even a little help from your friends. I have a blog post I’ve had in the Drafts section of my blog (meaning it’s still a work in progress) titled On Having A Hard Time. It’s about… having a hard time. I’ve been waiting until I have more answers and solutions to post the dang thing but lately I’ve realized that it doesn’t work that way. The learning is always. The answers and solutions are elusive. We’re all just trying to figure this nonsense out. So, let it happen.
This week. Despite the doozy:
• I’ve been thinking a lot this month about James Foley, the journalist that was executed last year by ISIS. He went out in the world,sought dangerous places, and tried to find the truth for us. Watch this: James Foley on his capture and captivity in Gaddafi’s Libya.
• The Difference Between Empathy and Sympathy. Get down in the ditch and listen. I’m learning to be better all the time, aren’t you?
• How To Live Wisely, a college course.
• I don’t know much about football beyond the sound of crashing helmets and blown whistles. The rules and downs and flags confuse me, but I do love professional sports for the humanity that emerges. This is a great read: How Marvin Gaye’s NFL Try Out Changed His Career.
• Dinner and Deception. The thrill of the fine-dining dinner con.
• Don’t bother explaining yourself: How To Project Power.
• An Adult’s Guide To Snapchat. We’re working through this together. Trying to pick the pieces of your mind from the floor and carry on.
• Cinnamon Toast Milk Ice Cream from The Candid Appetite. He combined cold cereal with ice cream and really it’s just rude. Deliciously RUDE.
• Is the turtleneck the new blazer? Or wait… should we wear turtlenecks with our blazers all Murphy Brown style?
It’s a short list this week. I know. Would not be a good time for a nap? I thought so.