I walked by this house in the Garden District earlier this week when the sun was just going down, people were home from work making dinner for their families… the sky was darkening and street lights were just starting to flicker to life. This house was bathed in sunset light and streetlamp light. I thought it looked like a painting. Dreamy, spooky, mysterious, and vulnerable somehow.
How has your week been? Whirlwind madness? Tackling the to-do list like a boss? Trying hard and mostly not crying about it? Me too.
I hope you’re celebrating the end of summer and the beginning of working way too hard until the holidays this weekend. Let there be bourbon and relaxation (and waffles).
Here is some of our week. The internet greatly distilled:
• This week we’ve been shocked and saddened but the seemingly sudden humanitarian crisis of Syrian refugees. In fact, it’s not sudden at all. If you don’t understand what’s going on and how it all got so bad, here’s Why People Are Fleeing Syria.
• The Mother Of All Disasters. Reading like this has me refreshing my hurricane/earthquake kit (and biting my nails a bit).
• I’m going to watch this documentary this weekend: The True Cost. The very high price of materialism.
• This is good news: 100 Black Men Greeted Kids On Their First Day Of School
• “I’m not telling you to make the world better, because I don’t think that progress is necessarily part of the package. I’m just telling you to live in it. Not just to endure it, not just to suffer it, not just to pass through it, but to live in it. To look at it. To try to get the picture. To live recklessly. To take chances. To make your own work and take pride in it. To seize the moment.” – Joan Didion, University of Riverside 1975 • 25 Powerful Commencement Speeches By Women
• There’s a phone app that will walk us home at night? It tracks our location, whether we break into a sprint, fall, or veer off our path, and invites friends and family to watch us on our journey. My only question is, what are we going to do with our rape whistles?
• An Oral History Of Me As Told Through My Exes. She was hot. She was fun.
• Overcoming Love Addiction: One Apple Martini At A Time. There’s a happy ending
• Sometimes driving through San Francisco takes my breath away: The Steepest Streets in San Francisco
• CEREAL MILK (and all sorts of other good things)! Apple Jack Cereal Milk Ice Cream with Applejack (Brandy) Caramel Swirl
• Dana from Minimalist Baker makes such lovely treats. Now, please put these Vegan Whoopie Pies in my face. Thanks!
• Let’s spend some quality time daydreaming about Paris with this lovely book: Bright Lights Paris by Angie Niles
• I won’t get on a plane without my giant Loomed Turkish Pestamel (I LOVE these colors!). Well… I will get on a plane without one, but I don’t want to. It’s my security blanket. Fashionable security.
• I appreciate the way Melissa Lanz and The Fresh 20 approaches a cleanse. It’s called: The Mind Body Reset and I’m trying it for the next 20 days. Meal plans, inspiration, encouragement, and it’s not about drastic diet, just a reset… I’m into it!
Have a happy Sunday! I’m glad you’re here.