I had a moment in the airport, one of those all-purpose airport stores with books and expensive water, and headphones (whyyyy do I always forget my headphones!?). I picked up the book Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson, stood in the store, flipped to the middle of the book, read two paragraphs and laughed loudly aloud. Loudly. Aloud. I flipped to the back cover, saw that the hardcover books was a solid $27 and decided that YES I would happily buy this book, but only if I could sit on the plane with Cheetos and Milk Duds and laugh as loudly as I wanted. That’s what I did. It felt great. It felt like very close to furiously happy.
The lesson here is, treat yo’self. Insights and laughs are worth the $27. Cheetos and milk duds are just luxury. Like, really stubborn luxury.
I’d like to say this week was a doozy, but we all know what we’ve gotten ourselves into.
• Why are we trying to trick each other. It’s like we’re trying to be the right kind of perfect and the perfect kind of vulnerable… and we’re all just doing the best we can all the time. Why lie? The #LuckyGirl’s Lie
• The Pope Is Here! And we’re really excited the Pope is here!
• Read this gem from Philly Mag. Humanity and some perspective. What Happened After My Kidnapping.
• I consistently read articles about how we have to turn our phones off. Do you think we can? Motherhood, Screened Off.
• We have to take care of each other… also, I just bit the shit outta my lip eating too many Milk Duds at once. Who am I going to call!? Answer: Cherishing Your Girlfriends.
• Really great, knee-high, compression socks for working hard, standing lots, and those times when we’re (you, not me) are pregnant: Marvy Socks.
• From Pinch of Yum, this looks delicious: Garlic Basil Chicken with Tomato Butter Sauce
• I’m a very big fan of Emily’s Cape Blazer. Plus black and cream, so classic!
• The best iEverything accessories. Aaaand, go!
• 27 TV Deaths That Totally Broke Our Hearts. Denny… oh man. Omar. GEEZ. This slideshow is full of spoiler alerts, but if you don’t already know what happened to Nate Fisher on Six Feet Under… it’s like, ok enough already.
Have a very happy and relaxed Sunday! If you need me I’ll be making pie in Balitmore at 1pm. Come on with it!
your post is really cute ;) i agree with you about the part that why are trying to trick each other, i really dont like that. we should just be who we are and not try to satisfy everyone and then the world would be a much simpler place…
ugh. “lucky girl” makes me so angry. and i’m sure this isn’t popular opinion, but same goes for saying god “blessed” you. no. noooooo. you worked. you worked hard and tirelessly and methodically. take credit for what you did!!!!! you can believe in the god that you pray to, but if you put in the work, you should take the credit.
Denny…..a sad moment…..great post thanks for sharing :)
Thanks so much for the book recommendation. I read a couple pages on amazon and felt the same way as you. Ordered it right away!
Furiously Happy sounds like a book I need to invest in at the moment…
I am making the chicken recipe tomorrow – sounds fantabulous !!
Hope the pie making was heaps of fun and plenty turned out to enjoy :))
Oooh I love this! Now I have to get that book to, exactly my kind of luxury indeed :) x
rebecca | DisplacedHousewife
Love all of this…now I wanna get the happy book.
I know we need to turn off our phones…I just can’t. #thestruggleisreal
Great links! Thanks for a little Sunday morning creative inspiration :)
Will look into Furiously Happy sounds good and I need a good laugh. Just copied the Garlic Basil Chicken recipe and I wonder if I could use Ghee instead of Super Premium butter? Have a good week and keep laughing. Paulette
Beautiful post! And yes, Cheetos are the shit!
I am happy that the Pope is here. Maybe he can help our elected officials make some positive changes. I am enjoying watching him in Washington, DC, NYC and Philly. I just wish the Catholic Church had not closed so many Catholic grammar schools in the Northeast. It seems as if the church is expanding membership, but not having the elementary schools available, is a shame.
I also am looking forward to making the Garlic Tomato Basil chicken recipe. I printed the recipe and will make it this week. It looks yummy.
As always, a very informative posting, Joy. Thanks.
I had a similar moment in the New Orleans airport store involving Zapp’s chips, pralines, and a bottle of extra hot Crystal. My abs were sore after reading Jenny Lawson’s Let’s Pretend This Never Happened. Furiously Happy is next up on my kindle. Thanks for all these great links.
lovely post!!! and great reminder :)
Lovely blog post and absolutely stunning picture!