This is an exercise in following your craving. Actually, this is more of an exercise in dragging you along into following my craving. (Sorry?)
I do a really good job of eating spinach and quinoa and omega-this and superfood-that. Essentially, I do a really good job of not eating chili cheese dogs as often as I want to eat chili cheese dogs.
So here we are, and it’s really delicious.
Also… while we’re chili-cheesing things, may I humbly present these Baked Chili Cheese Fries. They aren’t chili topped, rather chili flavored… which is pretty dang exciting if you asked me (and I’m pretty sure you asked me).
Let’s do this. There’s no turning back now. Well there is, but would you really want to?
Chopped onions are sautéed with ground beef and garlic. It’s the start of many good things.
To chili-make we add tomato sauce, honey for sweetness, and lots of earthy and spicy spices (technical term) to make chili taste like chili. Sweet paprika, ground cumin, chili powder, cayenne for spice, and salt and pepper.
Things are feeling right. Very right.
Time for assembly!
I boiled the hot dogs in simmering water until warmed through and bought the softest hot dog buns I could get my hands on. Cheddar cheese is required in generous proportions as are chopped onions.
Your instincts will show you the way. Hot dog, meet bun.
Warm chili, meet hot dog.
Cheese and onion, like… lots!
If you’re the kind of person who can eat a chili dog without Fritos then… well, I salute you… but I don’t trust you.
We’ll need some salty crunch to go with our delicious madness.
And of course chili and cheese and onions go on top of the chips. I’m not a Neanderthal (anymore).Print
Chili Cheese Dogs
- Prep Time: 30
- Total Time: 30 minutes
For the Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped and 1/2 cup reserved for topping
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 16 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- about 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- about 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- about 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
To Assemble the Dogs
- 8 all-beef hot dogs
- 8 soft hot dog buns
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion, reserved from above
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion. Stir and cook until onions are tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and garlic and use a wooden spoon to break the ground bed up as it cooks. Stir and sauté until the beef is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, honey, and spices. Stir and bring to a simmer. Taste and season with more salt and spice as desired. Allow to simmer down to your desired thickness.
- To assemble the chili dogs, boil hot dogs in simmer water until warmed through. Place into soft hot dog buns. Top with a heaping spoonful of warm chili, top with lots of shredded cheese and chopped onions.
- Serve with fritos, pickles, and root beer.
- Serving Size: 8