Good morning friends. Welcome to the best day of the week! I hope you’re weekending well. It’s May and I feel like people are starting to ease into lazy outdoor weekends and I’m thankful for it. I’ve got a light sunburn on my back and a cheeseburger in my belly, so I feel like I’m weekending with the best of em.
It’s Mother’s Day so act appropriately and accordingly. Call yo mama, and your grandmama, and your auntie, and your best friend who is also a mama, and your sister, and tell them they’re the most important and the most giving and the most generous because they are.
In very unimportant news, I think someone jumped my fence and stole my garden hose which is both totally ridiculous, and very New Orleans. Mom, when I call you later I’ll tell you the full story but mostly it’s just that someone stole my garden hose and I don’t know how or why.
We got word from the Internet this week. It shows no signs of slowing:
• If you’re in full-on I Forgot Mother’s Day mode here’s an emergency quiche (Creme Fraiche Quiche) and an emergency muffin (Brown Butter Blueberry Muffins) and you should make mama brunch and forget trying to hustle to brunch out in the world without a reservation. That seems hard.
• Have you listened to the new podcast by NPR called Embedded? It’s great. The second episode (entitled The House) dives into the small town of Austin Indiana where, because of rampant intravenous drug use, there has been a surge of HIV diagnosis. When things like this happen in small town America, people be like whaaat? These pain killers can be destroyers.
• 43 years in solitary confinement. Albert Woodfox, the former Black Panther, is the longest standing solitary confinement prisoner. Imagine. Just imagine 43 years of your life. He’s a strong-souled man.
• Go ahead, play the woman card. Tale as old as time really. You should read this.
• The real reason some people end up with partners who are way more attractive. So there’s something to be said for befriending models. Supes casual.
• The ladies room at the Met Gala. Because even perfect people in gowns have bodily functions. I love these.
• My friend and co-conspirator Jon Melendez wrote a book about sliders and it looks DELICIOUS and you can pre-order it now! The Slider Effect.
• Every girl Drake mentions on Views. Just in case you needed to know.
• I really like this compilation of DIY Veggie Stamps. The corn on the cob is pretty fantastic. How about wallpaper?
• I’m experimenting with Almond Flour and Coconut Sugar in the kitchen this week but I promise I’m not going to call anything paleo. You can snag a free bag of Almond Flour by signing up with Thrive Market. They have some amazing, healthful pantry staples, PLUS every memberships helps low-income families have access to healthy foods. It’s a win win.
• These are my mama’s favorite muffins: Vegan Banana Pecan Muffins.
• I try to keep my clothing collection pretty simple by not buying frivolous things. The less nonsense in my closet, the easier it is to decide what to wear because it’s likely just my favorite jean shorts and a t-shirt that I love. I know. None of this is rocket science and I should likely stick to making cookies. BUT! I bought a few Summer wardrobe staples from Everlane. Simple, classic, chic wardrobe staples that are affordable, they’re transparent about the factories they work with, and they cut out the retail middlemen which keeps cost and drama low! I love them.
• In the past year, yoga has become my body practice and brain space helper, but can we talk about the pants!? Why do we have to wear those super super tight tights? And sweat in them. And go to the grocery store in tight tights and get butt looks. You know what I’m talking about. Enough is enough. I’m waiting for two pairs of Buddah Pants to come in the mail. Freedom to the legs. Let’s let those things breathe. I got the Winter Savannah pants. Hallelujah!
• These Honey Cupcakes with Chamomile Cupcakes look so lovely and charming and delicious.
• And to round out our lazy Sunday, please: the mixed drink you can make right in your beer can.
It really is a beautiful day. I love you, k?
Super excited about that slider book. It looks so great!
I got a free jar of raw honey from Thrive Market, and then a month later saw a $60 charge for my annual subscription!! I thought about contacting them to cancel it (I totally didn’t read the fine print – my fault!) but I’ve been browsing and think that I’ll give them a try for the year — and I like their mission :-)
Also I’ve been LOVING Everlane ever since I got a couple staples from them (cashmere sweater and plain white t). I think their ‘compared to’ prices are a little ridic, but their stuff seems to be the real deal.
Have a great week!!
totally NOLA of them. I’m moving to the city in August for medical school but have lived in Covington my whole life. I have known about your blog for a while, but I’m really excited to start reading it more and hear about your favorite food spots! Just wanted to introduce myself since we do live in the same area! I’m Monica Bravo :) Hi!
These are my go-to yoga pants. I teach yoga, so I need pants that can go from class to the grocery store without, you know, the staring. They have a boot cut and a full leg style and I liked the boot cut in black and the full leg in grey. Go figure. :)
I wanted to share…because of you I bought a new cookbook…Layered…and am making the Riesling rhubarb crumble cake tomorrow which entailed buying a petal icing tip and a cake spinner thingme. Wish me luck. My goal is to make it look pretty much like the photo. She gives good instructions so it is now down to me. Thanks for the cookbook recommendation. I made another batterie de cuisine purchase to make your double chocolate donut recipe. Here you are, far away from my Naramata Village in British Columbia, changing my life.
I don’t bake much but I love your photos, recipes and especially the Let It Be Sunday! posts :) You’re awesome, Joy!
Another thought provoking post.
The pain killer addiction is all too real …. and heart breaking for the families of those who are fighting that battle.
The Woman card? The Minority card Really? I am so tired of the established political system ignoring and belittling
well qualified candidates because they don’t fit their idea of how things should be.We should all be mad as hell and
not wanting to take it any more. Albert Woodfox sees things very clearly; The most disturbing part of freedom,
Woodfox says, has been the dawning realization since his release that in America in 2016 there is very little sense
of political or social struggle. When he entered prison in the 1970s the country was on fire with political debate; now,
as he puts it, “everybody seems to be ‘Me, me, me, me, me.’ It’s all about me, what I need and how I’m going to get
it.” That’s all the soap-boxing from me, I just had to say something.
On a lighter note …. I made your Juicy Strawberry Pistachio Bake as my first solo baking attempt. My daughter, the
baker in the family, pronounced it not only good but “shareable” a term we use for recipes we will serve to guests.
Thanks Joy for a great easy to follow recipe, it’s nice to be able to impress my daughter now and again.
Tiny Strawberry Cream Scones next!!!
I think the the mens yoga pants for me for when I find a senior Yoga or Tai Che class. A note for those who may not know …….. the reason you see the tighter workout clothes in the gyms is a safety issue to prevent injury while working around equipment with moving parts. Just sayin’.
Thanks again for a great post Have a great rest of your Sunday
Hey Joy! I always read and enjoy your Sunday posts. Frequently you include a link to something I already read during the week, and I am all like “oh yeah, I am so up on the internet”. Did I hear that your podcast with Tracy is coming back????