Cut the grass out back. Fill the pot hole out front. Clean the bathroom inside. Fold the laundry. Eat tacos as reward. Call your sister, say hey. That’s my Sunday. What’s yours?
Reading. As we do:
• Let’s all read this because it is poetic and important. The Middle of Things: advice for young writers
• You Throw, Girl: An Olympic Shot Putter’s Feminist Mission. Go on at get it! (And wear lipstick, too.)
• David Simon, creator of “Homicide: Life on the Streets” and “The Wire” on Baltimore’s Anguish. We still talk about those shows because they are still some of the best television around, and David Simon is a thoughtful mind in our world.
• Weekend trip! Let’s go, right? Where to Hang in Nashville for 24-48 Hours.
• The words ‘local’, ‘sustainable’, and ‘organic’… they’re buzzy and we can think of them without really thinking about them. For New Orleans bread baker, Graison Gill they are the foundation of his bread bakery in this city and that is noooo small task. He also makes, hands-down, the best loaves in the city thanks to passion, care, and his fresh stone-milled flour. Against The Grain: how New Orleans baker is making waves in Louisiana wheat
• Women are crushing it at the Rio Olympics. Enough about them… where would they be without their husbands?
• This feels true, every word of it: What The Women From My Beginner’s Dance Class Definitely Said About Me After I Left
• Let’s not forget that former talk show host Jenny Jones has a food blog and is killing the game, ok?
• 10 Things I Buy from Trader Joes For No-Cook Dinners from The Kitchn. If you have a Trader Joe’s near you, God bless you… go live your life. How is New Orleans still without!?
• Here’s a New Orleans End Of Summer Bucket List…. because you know I love a bucket list of any variety. Let’s add to the list New Orleans Daiquiri Season, a month-long celebration this September featuring special events and daiquiri tastings around the city. It’s sure to be a blast AND the Ace Hotel is offering a special rate when you use the code DAIQUIRI. See what I’m doing? Trying to get you to come visit and drink rum with me.
• Every month King Arthur Flour is hosting an online baking gathering: Bakealong! This month we made Pane Bianco… sorta like braided pizza bread. It was as good as you’d imagine. Get in on it!
• This week in Things You Should Cook: Red Grape and White Peach Tabbouleh Salad.
• I watched the movie Room this weekend. I hope you see it, or read the book.
Ok! Have a wonderful day! What a blessing that we get to be in it!
Thanks for the awesome reads!
Room is one of my fave books!! I’ve read it twice.???? And I finally watched the movie a month ago. Bri Larson and Jacob Trembley are sooo incredible in it. Absolutely perfect casting!
I’m currently reading Food and the City by Ina Yalof! It’s a behind-the-scenes look at New York’s food scene through the eyes of the city’s professional chefs, line cooks, food vendors, and purveyors. I love hearing about how the different people started their businesses, the trials they’ve faced, and how they overcome. I’m also making a list of all the eateries mentioned in the book!
Enjoy the rest of your week????