How’s the middle of August treating you? The amount of sweat is just astounding, isn’t it?
I’ve been between New Orleans and Philadelphia this week, packing quick overnight bags, eating homemade sandwiches on airplanes, complying with boarding groups and exit row rules.
It’s been a tough few weeks for the state of Louisiana. If you don’t know… we’ve had really terrible flooding and so so many people have lost everything. It’s rough, but what I know of Louisiana is that people help one another. They take their boats out, donate food, give clothes, and rescue abandoned animals. It’s a force down here. Strong and inspiring.
Here’s some of our week on the Internet:
• Catastrophic Floods In Louisiana Cause Massive Housing Crisis. These waters rise fast, but the people of Louisiana also rise with aid and support. The world and the water are unpredictable. Here’s how to help Louisiana flood victims no matter where you are.
• This week the justice department ruled to end the use of private prisons. Here’s a long read that helps us understand why a profitable prison system is dangerous: My Four Months As A Private Prison Guard. I may have linked to this before but I’m rereading and resharing.
• The Detectives Who Never Forget a Face. What’s the opposite of a super-recognizer? That’s me.
• The Dark Side of Going For Gold. It’s highs and lows. We all have them.
• These dudes are so fast they can joke about it. I love this bit of the Olympics: A Historic Bromance.
• This warmed my heart. Single, 54, and a New Dad: Why Some Families Start Late.
• What we’re listening to this August (and every month after): Amos Lee’s new album Spirit. It’s layered and soulful and funky and full.
• I’m working on the cover of the Brunch book this week and part of that process involves going to the bookstore and looking at cover after cover after cover. I’m judging a book by its cover and here are two of my favorites: 3 Times A Day and Sarabeth’s Bakery: From My Hands to Yours
• Here’s a wonderful dream: Eat Your Way Through Japan With Ice Cream.
• Shutterbean’s Egg In A Nest Pesto Pizza looks delicious!
• A little something to head off to the kitchen to bake this morning: Tiny Strawberry Cream Scones. These would also be a treat with fresh blueberries.
• This week I experimented with fresh pasta for dinner because I love a cooking adventure even if I’m not photographing it for the site. I made Ree’s Fresh Pasta with roasted garlic, basil spinach pesto, lemon, and so much fresh Parmesan.
• This site is like a diary for me. A few summers ago I took a delicious trip to Maine, came back to my home in Venice, CA and recreated some of the most delicious mussels I’ve ever had. Here’s the recipe from Fore Street Mussels.
• The best matte-finish lipstick comes from a tube, lasts forever, and is actually SUPER affordable. I carry two of these in my purse. I love them!
• Well ain’t that the dang truth.
• When you make it to New Orleans next, please yoga with us here: Reyn Studios.
Have a very fine day!
Thanks for sharing
This looks amazing!!! Will certainly be trying this out this week! Thank you for sharing.
The ice cream in Japan article comes at a perfect time, I leave for Tokyo and Kyoto in a little over a week. :) Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for make my Sunday great. I love sandwich breads.