Hello my friends,
It’s the height of Mardi Gras season which you feel very viscerally when you live in New Orleans right now. There’s music in the streets, beads in the trees, and maaaany a tourist-friend in town. I took a short break from some of the Mardi Gras hoopla to pop over to Austin, TX where I have been successful in eating my weight (or just about) in tacos, seeing some great music, and tooling around town. In a time when the world feels real crunchy and cruel around the edges, going to see music and feel the pulse of talented musicians playing and singing their hearts out has felt like joy and relief.
I hope you’re finding your own joy this weekend. I’ve compiled some of the internet like we do around here every Sunday. Happy day and easy reading:
• Here we are: The Age of Rudeness
• A beautiful piece from the Chicago Sun Times about a high school coach and the kids that need him: A Season Under the Gun
• You’re a completely different person at age 14 and age 77. I hope so. The foundations of our personalities are mutable… along with our fashion choices and our crankiness at our parents. Relief, or what?
• One of my favorite things about living in New Orleans is hearing the marching bands practice for Mardi Gras parades in the Fall, Making Mardi Gras: Music in the streets with St Augustine. This high school band marches ten miles for several nights over the Mardi Gras season, setting the groove and making our feet dance. Happy Mardi Gras! It’s here, it’s now, it’s wonderful and I hope you come experience it with us sometime!
• Inside Uber’s Aggressive, Unrestrained Workplace Culture. It’s just locker room talk, right? Maybe this is the product of such aggressive growth? Welp, looks like Toxic masculinity ruins the party again. Ruins the party or takes you to the party?
• The Internet is full of really gnarly news and also… jokes: Frank Gehry no longer allowed to make sandwiches for grandkids.
• Talk amongst yourselves, I’ll give you a topic: Why Is It So Hard For Women To Be Selfish?
• My little sister is literally the sweetest and her Seattle ice cream business is growing!
• Very honest and very important: But He Didn’t Hit Me. Maybe this hits close to home for you or someone you know. It has hit close to home at times in my heart and life.
• This is one of my very favorite vegetable recipes going into Spring: Pistachio Crusted Asparagus with Feta from the inspired kitchen of Small Measure.
• Traveling the entire length of the US-Mexico border in photographs: 10 Days Along the Border
• This is my power skirt at my power length.
• I got to see Amos Lee perform in Austin Texas tonight with the Melodic Caring Project, a beautiful organization that brings live music to children and families in sickness struggles. Love is loud. Check it!
You are lovely and I’m glad you’re here. Let’s enjoy this day!
Uhm most importantly which Danskos are those??? Love the natural leather.