Hello my friends!
First thing, that’s not me in a wedding dress. I wouldn’t get married and not tell you about it.
This week I got to witness the strong love and inspiring hopefulness of my friends Whitney and Michael. It’s really so special to be at a dear and close friend’s wedding. It’s such a marker in life and friendship and my goodness… it feels so so good to celebrate the good times.
It also remains true that every wedding has a really bad groomsman speech. Good lord have mercy.
If I’m being honest with you, and I am… what’s true is that, after the release of Over Easy about a month and a half ago, my creative brain is in hibernation mode trying to charge up to dream the next adventure. To my brain that wants to go go go, it’s been a challenging rest. Working on it. It’s all part of the process.
Here are some thoughts from around the Internet this week:
• We could all use a little (read: A LOT) of context and understanding when it comes to the health care bill that passed the House this week. Fact Check: Rumors, Claims, and Context on the GOP Health Bill.
• Ok hold up… this is bonkers. So you went and married a terrorist and then popped out of Syria all jk jk jk. (I REALLY simplified that.) The FBI translator who went rogue and married an ISIS terrorist.
• This perspective: My Father Spent 30 Years In Prison. Now He’s Out.
• When the Gospel of Minimalism Collides with Daily Life. “Like most things, living minimally is more complicated than it may seem.” Feel you; I’m not quite buying the hype.
• Why Americans Smile So Much. WE ARE VERY HAPPY! Jk jk we do have chipper Wal-Marts though.
• A reminder from Chris Rock that comedy comes from pain. Chris Rock In A Hard Place: on infidelity, his new tour, and starting over.
• I’ve always been fascinated by the ability of our bodies to push and grind and run and jump and live up to its incredible capacity. I’m mostly fascinated by it from my cozy couch or chill yoga matt. Here’s how some runners are trying to run the sub 2 hour marathon. Just ask your body to run just over 13mph for almost 2 hours, ok?
• Really a very cold and dangerous place for a traffic jam: Mt Everest is crowded this year (and it has a DJ, too… so help us God).
• Our girl Ellen Bennett or Hedley & Bennett was featured in Fast Company because she’s a pretty rad boss and lady who has taken the food industry by storm. Apron storm. Our Hedley & Bennett x Joy the Baker apron collaboration can be found here: The Bywater and The Sazerac.
• Ashley English’s The Year of Picnics is out and it’s perfect timing, really. Let’s get outside with friends and treats.
• I have a strong desire for these copper kitchen canisters.
• If you live in Seattle, here are all the places you can find my sister’s Sweet Lo’s Ice Cream. You’ll thank me (well, you should really thank Lauren.) It’s incredible!
• I have a birthday coming up this month, which I will likely not mention again because… I dunno, I’m going to make a cake and eat sushi about it on the day it’s here. The past few birthdays I’ve taken to buying myself something precious, because if you can, there’s really no reason to wait around for someone else to buy precious things for you. I’m daydreaming about this emerald ring though I’d have to think long and hard about if Suze Ornam would allow it.
Enjoy this fine day!