Happy Sunday sweet friends! Welcome to another fine weekend! I’ve had a busy week testing recipes for the blog and somehow managing to cut three of the five fingers on my left hand. Listen… knife safety is real and sometimes life comes atcha fast. My dear friend Cara came to visit for a few short days that we managed to pack it with a lot of food (the glorious Turkey and the Wolf included)… and a live true crime podcast taping (SSDGM). It was a divine balance of work and play an unfortunate number of knife wounds. You take the good, you take the bad… right?
Here are some links for reading. I hope this Sunday treats you well:
• How Emily Weiss created one of the most successful modern brands today. It’s all so perfectly sharable. The Magic Skin of Glossier’s Emily Weiss. Makeup for people who are already pretty – how about them apples?
• Honestly, the best we can do is try to keep up: Erykah Badu In Conversation.
• Oscar nominations are out: Here’s a list of where to stream some of the nominated films.
• How Orchids Work from the always illuminating Stuff You Should Know.
• More notes on how the world works: Swat at a mosquito and it could remember you for days! Ok ok ok let’s keep this in mind this summer. I’m comin’ out swingin’.
• Do you know the dear Tara Jensen of Smoke Signals Bakery? Her first book is available for pre-order and I’m truly very excited about it: A Baker’s Year.
• How you and Costco can make one month of freezer breakfast sandwiches together!
• Jon made these mouth-watering Buffalo Chickpeas and you best believe they’re on my list for next week too!
• Are you going to make your own King Cake this year?
• Sending flowers is never not a nice touch. From Apartment Therapy: 7 Chic Alternative Online Flower Delivery Services. Also… you know what day is coming up.
• We’re making brunch together at The Bakehouse this Spring? You should join us!
Let’s enjoy today!
I was able to attend an MFM show in September – they were so good live! Hope you had a good time.
I’m a big fan of buffalo chickpeas. That bowl looks great! Whenever I get a craving for hot wings, I put them in a sandwich pita with some blue cheese, lettuce and occasionally red onions and tomatoes if I’m being fancy. 99% of the time, it satisfies the cravings.
I just heard if MFM last week and decided today to give it a listen. Scrolled back to episode one and found myself uncontrollably crying over JonBenet Ramsey while trying to run in the treadmill. I had to turn it off. I wanted to like it so much – they clearly have awesome chemistry and are entertaining, but as a newish mom I couldn’t do it!
Thanks for that link to the month of breakfast sandwiches — very handy!
Yes I am going to make a king cake this week! Last Friday I got the baby (whole cocoa bean in this case) in the *insanely* good Da Broad king cake from Piety and Desire Chocolates, and I now owe my coworkers. I made your Mardi Gras King Cake for a Twelfth Night party, and it was wonderful. This time, I’d like to try a different filling; I have some kumquat-vanilla bean jam I made last week, but I’ve never filled a yeasted bread with jam before. Will it work, do you think? Appreciate any advice!
Angie De Angelis
I DID make my own king cake… following your very own instructions! And it was awesome and made the whole place smell like what I want my whole entire life to smell like. If you’re interested: https://thegoodfork.me/2018/01/17/be-here-have-cake/
Please tell me there will be some sort of MFM/SSDGM Cake happening with red frosting and a giant butcher knife sticking out of it or a gorgeously vintage-y style floral number that simply reads, “Fuck Politeness.
I was fortunate enough to make the trip to NOLA with a couple of friends for MFM this weekend. It was my first trip to NOLA and the city did not disappoint…well, except for the torrential downpour Saturday that drenched us and spoiled the rest of our plans. Haha
Hope those fingers heal fast, Joy!
I love buffalo chickpeas! They’re such a great meat alternative. I put them in wraps with broccoli slaw and blue cheese dressing…soooooo good.
Nicole Gaffney aka Coley
Just wanted to give a shout out to say I first heard about MFM here on your blog and have since become an obsessed murderino. I recently sent in a “hometown” about how my great grandmother was kidnapped by a man and then forced to marry him (at 14 nonetheless) and then they had 13 kids! Oh, and he also murdered his kid sister. So if they ever read it, you’ll know it’s me!
I read your posts religiously but never come on to comment because I’m weird like that, but I guess I’m feeling extra ambitious this morning. A few weeks back you mentioned you were binge watching Food Network Star and I was going to say something then, but I chickened out. I was on season 10 and I made it to the top 3, but lost (womp womp). If you watched my season, I hope I didn’t annoy you too much ;)
I very much like what you do and thought it was high time I told you. Happy Sunday!
I was hoping you got to see Karen and Georgia while they were in your city!
Taste of France
How I love your links. There are always some I never would have found otherwise. Merci mille fois.
BTW, the photo looks exactly like the park I just ran through this morning. Are you in the south of France?
So sorry you cut your fingers. Hopefully they will recover soon.
With love from Bavaria/Germany, Rena