I still lose my way sometimes. Big time. I’ve been in New Orleans for, what is it… four years now? It just takes one unexpectedly closed road (and it happens all the time) and all of a sudden I’m thisway and thatway and all sorts of turned around. The only way out is through, right… because I refuse to use navigation at this point. I’ve also found that another way out is to find your way home, dig out your old cookbook, and make your simplest most satisfying recipe. Which brings us here – to Rice Krispies Treats with both browned butter and peanut butter and enough salt to keep us guessing.
I got lost today. Then found. Then peanut butter treats. Follow me in the kitchen, not on the road.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this Rice Krispies Treats recipe:
• A box of Rice Krispies cereal or any crispy rice cereal you prefer.
• Unsalted butter at room temperature – related: How To Make Browned Butter.
• Peanut butter (optional and leave out if you prefer a classic krispies treat)
• Large marshmallows and mini marshmallows
• Sea salt
• a splash (or tablespoon) of vanilla extract is also nice but not totally necessary
First we’ll brown the butter in a large saucepan. As the butter melts over medium heat, the milk solids will brown. Just give them a bit of time. Into the just browned butter, a boatload of big marshmallows.
And a big swipe of peanut butter too.
Stirred over low heat until melted and smooth.
I’m smiling but this is HOT (peanut butter) LAVA marshmallow mixture!
Poured directly and quickly into the crisp cereal in a large bowl.
On top of the hot lava – two big handfuls or a cup of mini marshmallows (two cups is even nicer). They’ll only melt partially and give the treats spots of gooey marshmallow.
Flaky salt. Flaky salt to balance the sweetness of all that marshmallow.
Stir and stir. Toss and coat every bit of cereal.
Pile the peanut butter cereal mixture into pan brushed with softened butter and topped with buttered parchment paper. Alternately you can use cooking spray instead of butter.
A spatula to press the sticky treats into every corner of an 8×8 or 9×9 inch pan.
If you find that the crispy treats are sticking to the spatula more than they’re resting in the pan, butter the spatula making it deliciously nonstick.
More salt you say? Yup, more salt I say.
Let the treats rest in the pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
This will give the big ol’ square a chance to stick together and play nice.
Slice generously. Slice like you’re sharing with people you really like. The taste of peanut butter is subtle while the flavor of browned butter adds depth and the extra mini marshmallows give that perfect marshmallow pull. Layers of goodness!
We’re in familiar territory friends. Welcome to my favorite rice krispie treat recipe – the easiest gluten-free dessert. Store any leftovers in an airtight container or wrap individually in plastic wrap.
Rate and comment below if you make this recipe. Leave any questions in the comment section. Share your baking with me on Instagram! I’m so glad you’re here! xoPrint
Browned Butter Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 9-12 squares 1x
My secret weapon Rice Krispies Treats recipe made with peanut butter, browned butter and extra marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 (10-ounce) bag large marshmallows
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter (optional but delicious)
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Line the pan with parchment paper so that the paper hangs over the side on two sides. Butter the bottom of the paper as well. Set aside.
- Place cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a large, heavy bottom saucepan, melt butter over medium heat until just browned. Butter will melt, foam and begin to spit as the water cooks out of the butter. Whisk browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Just as the butter begins to brown add the large marshmallows and the peanut butter. Stir with a spatula until the marshmallows are melted and the mixture is sticky smooth. Remove the pan from the heat and immediately pour into the cereal bowl. Add the salt and mini marshmallows and quick stir, coating all of the cereal in the peanut butter mixture.
- Turn the mixture out into the prepared pan and press to fill all sides of the pan with a spatula. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing into 9 or 12 squares.
- Wrap individually in plastic wrap. Crispy treats will last, well wrapped, at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size: 12
What kind of parchment paper did you use? I can’t find one that works well.