I still lose my way sometimes. Big time.
I’ve been in New Orleans for, what is it… four years now? It just takes one unexpectedly closed road (and it happens all the time) and all of a sudden I’m thisway and thatway and all sorts of turned around. The only way out is through, right… because I refuse to use navigation at this point.
I’ve also found that another way out is to find your way home, dig out your old cookbook, and make your simpliciest most satisfying recipe. Which brings us here – to rice krispie treats with both browned butter and peanut butter and enough salt to keep us guessing.
I got lost today. Then found. Then peanut butter treats. Follow me in the kitchen, not on the road.
Here’s how we do!
Grab a box of rice krispie cereal. Get that butter and peanut butter. Get those big marshmallow and those little ones too! Sea salt and let’s go!
First we’ll brown the butter in a large skillet. It’s the milk solids that will brown over medium heat. Just give them a bit of time.
See also: How To Make Browned Butter.
Into the just browned butter, a boatload of big marshmallows.
And a big swipe of peanut butter too.
Stirred over low heat until melted and smooth.
I’m smiling but this is HOT (peanut butter) LAVA!
Poured directly and quickly into the crisp cereal.
On top of the hot lava – two big handfuls of mini marshmallows. They’ll only melt partially and give the treats spots of gooey marshmallow.
Flaky salt. Flaky salt to balance the sweetness of all that marshmallow.
Stir and stir. Toss and coat every bit of cereal.
Pile the peanut butter cereal mixture into the buttery pan.
A spatula to press the sticky treats into every corner of the pan.
If you find that the crispy treats are sticking to the spatula more than they’re resting in the pan, butter the spatula making it deliciously nonstick.
More salt you say? Yup, more salt I say.
Let the treats rest in the pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
This will give the big ol’ square a chance to stick together and play nice.
Slice generously. Slice like you’re sharing with people you really like.
We’re in familiar territory friends. Welcome to it.
Photos with dearhreart: Jon Melendez!Print
Browned Butter Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 6 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 (10-ounce) bag large marshmallows
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Line the pan with parchment paper so that the paper hangs over the side on two sides. Butter the bottom of the paper as well. Set aside.
- Place cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a large, heavy bottom saucepan, melt butter over medium heat until just browned. Butter will melt, foam and begin to spit as the water cooks out of the butter. Whisk browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Just as the butter begins to brown add the large marshmallows and the peanut butter. Stir with a spatula until the marshmallows are melted and the mixture is sticky smooth. Remove the pan from the heat and immediately pour into the cereal bowl. Add the salt and mini marshmallows and quick stir, coating all of the cereal in the peanut butter mixture.
- Turn the mixture out into the prepared pan and press to fill all sides of the pan with a spatula. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing into 9 or 12 squares.
- Wrap individually in plastic wrap. Crispy treats will last, well wrapped, at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size: 12