Hello dear friends!
I’ll tell you what – if you dream of hosting a pop-up bagel shop in your backyard one day, all it takes is many MANY batches of this bagel recipe, a very early wakeup call, several batches of homemade flavored whipped cream, a few friends to help you bring all of your inside furniture out to the backyard, a portable speaker with a Drake playlist and BOOM – you’ve got yourself a bagel shop.
Truth be told, it’s an insane amount of work but I think that’s what it takes to make your own dreams come true. Hard work and good friends. This weekend was likely the last Bakehouse event until the Fall. I’m taking some time off this summer to do the dishes and do things other than dishes, ya know?
It’s been a complex week. Here are a few of the things that struck me:
• This week on Fresh Air, an incredible interview with the late Tom Wolfe. ‘Arrive in any situation as a man from Mars’. If you are only able to listen to part of this interview, the last half with Terry Gross about not trying to fit in is very compelling. (NPR)
• I’m working through two long reads this weekend and I’ll share them with you here if you’d like to join me: The Untold Story of Robert Mueller’s Time In Combat and The Nine Minutes That Almost Changed America. (Wired and Buzzfeed)
• What Happens To All The Plastic We Throw Out? Spoiler alert: it’s not great, and this reality is awful. (National Geographic)
• The new plan to defund Planned Parenthood, explained. It’s very important to know what’s going on here. (Vox)
• This really feeds my obsession with Mt Everest. Double Amputee Summits Everest (Outside)
• Again. Santa Fe High School Student Says She Wasn’t Surprised By Shooting. (The Cut)
• These words are about growing up, communicating our boundaries, and showing compassion – DANG POLLY THANK YOU! Ask Polly: Should I Dump My Toxic Friend? (The Cut)
• Truthfully, I didn’t think I was into the royal wedding until I saw the true love shining through Harry and Meghan. And Stand By Me made me cry so… I guess I’m officially into it. (Vox)
• Standing in front of the vast array in the olive oil section is definitely intimidating. The Best Olive Oil You Can Buy at the Grocery Store according to Tasting Table. California Olive Ranch is my favorite, too!
• 14 Secrets of Costco Employees. (Mental Floss)
• If you’re in the business of making a birthday cake for someone soon: Everybody’s Birthday Cake. And while we’re talking cake, Adriana’s Strawberry Milk Tres Leches Cake looks lovely. (Joy the Baker and A Cozy Kitchen)
• I’m here to fully admit to wearing body makeup when I want to look sun-kissed and like my skin actually bronzes to tan instead of burning to a crisp. This is my favorite: Body Blur.
That’s all for today! Enjoy your Sunday.