Hello dear friends!
I’m grateful that you’re here – I know there are all sorts of other ways you might choose to spend your Sunday morning. Have you felt like a success this week? Oh… we’re measuring our success in sweat these days, so…. let’s just say we’re all really quite successful this week.
It’s been one of those weeks where it appears that most everyone went on vacation without us… unless you’re one of the folks on vacation to which I say… hey, you went on vacation without me. Good for you, honestly. Well done.
This month I’m a) drinking a lot of lemonade. b) thinking deeply about whether or not I even like the new Drake album (shrug). and c) studying anatomy in yoga teacher training. A few other actually important things are going on but listen…. if I have to find my pelvic floor I don’t want to do it alone and I think you should at least know, if not join me. Big stuff over here… I know it.
Here is the reading offering this week. May you enjoy it with coffee or summer water in hand.
• Thoughtful: Where Is Barack Obama? (NY Magazine)
• Still trying to wrap my mind around the red tape and long term trauma of this national nightmare: Parents Are Struggling To Reclaim Their Children From The Office of Refugee Resettlement. (The New Yorker)
• A very important interview with our low-key Queen: Marisa Tomei Knows What She’s Worth. (The Cut)
• Based on my consumption of true crime media my amygdala (it’s a part of the brain) is on HIGH ALERT but this rock climber dude is on the opposite end of the spectrum which is why he climbs up mountains with no ropes while I set my alarm at night and run through my window escape route before falling asleep: The Strange Brain of the World’s Greatest Solo Climber. (Nautilus) Everything is fine, ssdgm.
• I mean… what are you doing with your life? Not this? Me neither. The Nutella Billionaires.
• Here’s a rabbit hole to go down, join me / I’m sorry: The Journey Into The Dark Heart of Celebrity Relationship Conspiracy Theories. (Buzzfeed)
• I love these concrete Lazy Susans and tiny baby planters from The Makerage. (Etsy)
• The latest issue of Cherry Bombe magazine features Nigella Lawson and I’m very excited to get my hands on it. (Cherry Bombe)
• Chillin in the summertime: 16 Salads For People Who Hate Lettuce. (Buzzfeed)
• Get your summer corn right: Charred Corn with Pistachio Cilantro Lime Rub. Ya heard? (Joy the Baker)
• Lemonade, which we need by the gallon: Peach and Cardamom Lemonade (Joy the Baker)
• I’m reading all about the chakra system thanks to yoga teacher training: Wheels of Life. Yup… here I go. (Amazon)
• We’re planning some great things for fall at The Bakehouse! Be sure to follow us on Instagram to keep up with all the good news!
My love to you. Enjoy this day!
Pictured above: a slice from Emporium Pies in Dallas, amen.
Hi Joy! I’m visiting a friend in New Orleans this weekend and want to catch some yoga while I’m down there. What studio do you recommend? (I promise I’m not stalking you!! Genuinely interested in a class. . .
I love Reyn Studios! Welcome to town!
Thanks so much! I’m super excited to eat all the things, listen to all the music, and maybe buy a sun hat this year to give my poor rosacea nose a rest :)
Your pelvic floor is so much more than Mula Bandha! In fact MB is not great for all folks – just like any other muscle – their can be contraindications. Both engagement and releasing are equally important for pelvic floor health ;)
I may have teared up at the Obama article… The line was right, I do miss dad.
I did teacher training about a 1.5yrs ago and it was AWESOME! I’m not currently teaching for a few reasons, but the training was more a bucket-list thing than a career move. One of the best times of my life. Enjoy and be present!