Hello sweet friends.
Welcome to your weekend! I realize I did y’all dirty this week by mentioning that I adopted a dog into my tiny family of me and Tron without sharing a picture of our sweet girl. Her name is Maggie and she’s a sweet little mama pup. We’re learning how to be in the world together and it’s pretty great. Also, it turns out that it takes a village to take proper care of a dog, so my friend and neighbor Nicole and I share Maggie and really… it’s super progressive and so helpful.
This week has been a lot future work – working on our fall schedule at The Bakehouse (check it out!) and somehow already thinking about Thanksgiving and Christmas food. It’s still hot out fyi… barely a hint of sweater in sight.
In what is a surprise to me and just about everyone around me, I’m taking a spontaneous (very) trip to Greece this week. I’ll call it a belated summer vacation. I’ll call it a testament to YES… because if someone asks you if you want to go to Greece the answer is 100% YES LET’S LOOK AT FLIGHTS. So off I go. If you’d like to follow along with the adventures, I’ll add updates to the the Instagram Stories. Just taking big bites out of life.
Here’s the offering this week, some tough stuff, some awkward pieces, some strong opinions. I appreciate that you’re here. It really means to much to me. Take what you need below:
• I appreciate this raw perspective of this week’s tough anniversary: The Real Lesson of Sept. 11. ( New York Times)
• Let’s keep our thoughts with the Carolinas: Florence Will Drop An Inconceivable Amount of Water. This week on The Daily podcast: a two part series reminding us of the trauma and tragedy of Hurricane Harvey in Houston last year.
• The truth is, we’re trying to buy our way out of our anxiety. Fidget spinners, weighted blankets, and the rise of anxiety consumerism. (Vox)
• Life comes atcha fast: The Time I Accidentally Emailed an Old Love Letter Draft to My Ex. (The Cut)
• The visible and invisible work of women: Kids Don’t Ruin Women’s Careers – Men Do. (Medium)
• This week I made these Vanilla Bean Sprinkle Cookies– taking it all the way back to my second cookbook, Homemade Decadence. Happy colors and sweet nostalgia. I used these sprinkles – my absolute favorite confetti. (Joy the Baker and Amazon)
• Love Me Tender: baking soda makes for tender meat! (Tasting Table)
• It’s simple, but this is very relevant information: How Dorie GreenspanTies Her Signature Neck Scarves. (Food52)
• Jon’s Sheet Pan Turkey Caprese Meatballs seem like the perfect weeknight meal. Very into this as an alternative to eating scrambled eggs over the kitchen sink. (The Candid Appetite)
• Carry this little nugget to trivia night: How Did ‘OK’ Become The Most Popular Word In The World. (Kottke)
Have a lovely week, ok?
I’ll be back with recipes and stories for you soon!
My love to you.