Hello sweet friends!
Wow wow wow – it’s one of the best weekends of the year. The days feel long and the fridge feels like it will always always be full of turkey. I hope you had a memorable Thanksgiving. Memorable in the way that you laughed so hard it hurt and someone helped you with the dishes. I’m taking time this weekend: with friends, on long drives, at home putting up my Christmas tree. There’s a calm in this weekend as we stretch towards the last month of the year and I’m savoring it! I hope you have too.
The offering today is below. Let it be a distraction from online holiday shopping.
• What If He Falls? The Terrifying Reality of Filming ‘Free Solo’. Spoiler Alert: he doesn’t fall, thank god – but that doesn’t make this documentary any less heart-pounding and breathtaking. (YouTube)
• This article isn’t for everyone but if the acronym SSDGM means something to you then this will be of interest: He claims he’s America’s deadliest serial killer, and police believe him. (The Washington Post)
• What Amazon Reviews Reveal About Humanity. (Buzzfeed)
• Here’s the reading list we need for both gifting and holiday escapism: 100 Notable Books of 2018. (NYTimes)
• I’ve got the oven going all month – you? Here are some thoughts – Baking 101: Which Baking Rack Should I Use? (Joy the Baker)
• A case against hand washing dishes. (Lifehacker)
• Bread is back (to the folks who stopped paying attention to bread). More specifically, tech bros are into bread now. Good for them, ya know? Do You Even Bake, Bro? (Eater)
• These greens were at my Thanksgiving table and I’ll be sad when the leftovers are gone: Sauteed Collard Greens in Caramelized Miso Butter. (Bon Appetit)
• This is one of the most popular posts of my site right now. Our girl Ina knows how to work a cup of butter: Ina’s Apple Pie Bars. (Joy the Baker)
• This article has some useful methods: 8 Ways To Avoid Going Broke This Holiday Season. (The Cut)
• You might also sign up for acorns and invest your spare change from holiday shopping: Acorns. (Acorns)
• Have you ‘shopped small’ with artists and makers this weekend? I’ll have a whole post about some of my favorite makers this week. In the meantime, I wish I had more fingers for all the rings I want to wear. See: this burning heart ring. (Kate Bregvad)
• I am so down for a holiday scented candle this time of year. No shame in my game. The green scented candles are my favorite – you know, like: Fresh Pine. (DW Home)
• We’ve got one special event happening at The Bakehouse this December! We’re having a Holiday Market with some local makers from here in New Orleans along with all sorts of holiday pies and cookies and food gifts for sale! Come through! (Eventbrite)
I hope your Sunday is a hoot!
My love to you!