Hello dear friends!
I hope this Sunday finds you happy and well! It’s a holiday weekend here in the states which means we’re blessed with a second Saturday – isn’t it fine!? I took a last minute weekend trip to Miami to visit my friend Lauren for the weekend. Miami is a wonder! The architecture, the palms, the sunsets, the ocean – it’s gorgeous and it’s such a trip. I’m content thanks the the sidewalk cafes alone.
This past week has been packed with recipe testing and Bakehouse workshops and there’s nothing like hard work to make an afternoon bike ride on the beach feel pretty great. I hope you’re feeling steady and accomplished this weekend! The reading offering is below and stay ready for a brownie recipe this week.
I appreciate you very much! As always, take what you need, leave what you don’t:
• Prepare your heart and grab something to wipe your eyes. My Wife Was Dying, and We Didn’t Tell Our Children. (The Atlantic)
• This sentence gave me anxiety so I thought I’d ask you to help me carry the burden by sharing it with you: “Ignoring email is an act of incivility.” No, You Can’t Ignore Email. It’s Rude. (New York Times)
• The long-read I’m working my way through this week: The Desperado (The Atavist Magazine)
• Maybe you too watched the fresh hell that is Abducted in Plain Sight unfold on Netflix. If so, I have several questions, the most present of them being: WHAT!?!?!?!?! Up next in my Netflix viewing is The Two Killings of Sam Cooke. (Netflix)
• One of the most beautiful songs in the world: Bill Evans Peace Piece. (YouTube)
• This is interesting! Music as a tool to influence the brain: How Focus Music Hacks Your Brain (YouTube via Cheddar)
• Treasure. How To Write About Food: in the classroom with Jonathan Gold. (Foodaism via Ann Friedman)
• This week I bought caviar at the grocery store. Caviar! Like that a thing that people just buy and eat. WELP. I did! It was delicious! Salmon and Caviar Blinis. Listen, it’s really fun to buy something unexpected and treat yourself! (Serious Eats)
• It’s hard to forget the delicious simplicity of Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce but if you have, that was a reminder for you. (Food 52)
• I was a pretty strong hold out but I did it. I bought an InstantPot. All I make is beans beans and more beans and I love it so much, thank you for listening.
• This week at The Bakehouse we made pasta together and honestly had a roaring good time. How To Make Fresh Pasta From Scratch. (The Kitchn)
• Talk amongst yourselves, I’ll give you a topic: The official fast food French fry power ranking. (LA Times)
• Dinner this week: Sausage and Mushroom Risotto. (Joy the Baker)
• Next month at The Bakehouse we’re holding a one-day BakeAway workshop. You’ll learn baking, food styling, food photography for the iphone, iphone photo editing, and social media know how. It’ll be a fun full day to learn some new skills. Check it! The BakeAway Intensive: Social and Styling. (The BakeAway Nola)
Have the most lovely Sunday!
My love to you.
I watched Abducted in Plain Sight. I couldn’t believe how we trust people. It was amazing what this family went through.