Hello my dears and welcome to this fine day.
Are you a deep space or a deep ocean person? I’m a deep space person. Space is amazing and we’re living in it and it’s such a wonder that it’s wild that we don’t even have to think about it every day. There’s a new show on Netflix called One Strange Rock that adds some gratitude and perspective.
Back on Earth, here in New Orleans we’re enjoying the first big weekend of Mardi Gras. It’s such a trip! I’m celebrating by inviting strangers into my house to make King Cakes with me at The Bakehouse. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate though next weekend I’ll be in the streets trying to catch beads and eat crawfish – just a different way to feel spirit.
The offering this week excludes some of the troubling madness in the world. We know what it is and here’s a short loop around it for this Sunday.
Enjoy your day. I hope there’s a pastry in it for your belly and soul.
• Episode 258 of Are We Ok? When Kids Realize Their Whole Life Is Already Online (The Atlantic)
• “Many of Tulum’s business owners believe the Tulum brand is exportable — there is now a restaurant in a Dallas strip mall called Tulum…” Just to be clear, we’re talking about a town in Mexico as a brand. Ok? Who Killed Tulum? (The Cut)
• Something from the archives that feels especially surreal now: The Jet Set Life of Karl Lagerfeld’s Favorite Male Model – for Now. (The New York Times)
• How Fancy Water Bottles Became a 21st Century Status Symbol and something I’ll definitely lose within a week. (The Atlantic)
• The Bon Appetit Test Kitchen is bringing us the food tv content we want and need! (Bon Appetit)
• QUEEN: Nigella Lawson Was Never Just a Domestic Goddess. (The New York Times)
• The long-read this week is an absolutely fascinating account of, and perspective on Anna Nicole Smith. There’s the article written by Sarah Marshall: How Anna Nicole Smith Became America’s Punchline, and a podcast episode this week from You’re Wrong About. (Buzzfeed and iTunes)
• Things I made this week but did not photograph for the internet: Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya. (It’s jambalaya season down here in New Orleans aka Big Pot of Comfort For All the Mardi Gras Company Coming Over.) (Louisiana Cookin)
• We’re nearing the end of the second month of the Food In Jars Challenge. This month was about fermenting and I’ve been tinkering around with sauerkraut and my sourdough starter! Here’s what’s next in my kitchen: Kimchi Kraut. (Food in Jars)
• Please hold all of my calls, I’m hosting a SOUP SWAP! (The Kitchn)
• I’m just going to make my own dreams come true and have a bowl of mashed potatoes for dinner one night this week: Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese. (Food52)
• I just posted this on the blog yesterday but I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate that it’s really special and if you’re in the mood for a baking adventure, THIS IS YOU RECIPE: Pistachio Rose Galette des Rois. They’re little baby French Queen Cakes – buttery, salty, sweet, floral and super impressive for Mardi Gras season!
• A Series of Rooms (Instagram)
Have a most wonderful Sunday!
My love to you!