Hello my dears!
I’ll tell you what – we’re in the thiiiiiick of Mardi Gras here in New Orleans. Parades everyday, a new layer of plastic beads hanging from the trees, incredible costumes, and a warmth from everyone to everyone. It’s madness, but it’s also such a wonder. I’ve fashioned this cake out of foam and felt to wear on my head this Fat Tuesday. Listen… I can make a cake out of just about anything. New Orleans is the most creative and artistic city I’ve ever experienced, and this time of year sparkles with that pride. Also… if you’re looking for any hot glue guns – we have them all. All.
I hope this finds you happy and well. Have a slice of cake today. We’re creeping towards Lent, ya know?
The offering this week is below. As always, take what you need. I appreciate your presence here so much. I really do.
Now, if you need me – I’ll be in the streets with a foam cake on my head.
• Beautifully done. A vanishing. The Invisibility of Older Women (The Atlantic)
• I am a person who leaves little notes and drawings and plan ticket stubs in books before I put them in the free library boxes. Tales of a book cleaner: The Strange Things I’ve Found Inside Books (Paris Review)
• I secretly love a non-violent, smartly planned heist: The Secret’s of the World’s Greatest Art Thief (GQ)
• There’s a lot of beauty to be found here: The loneliest road in America (NatGeo)
• Let’s just roll through some scenarios of the subconscious. Dreaming About An Ex? An Expert Explores 20 Reasons Why. (The Cut)
• After almost 10 years of really struggling with my cycles I’ve finally been diagnosed with Stage VI endometriosis. I’m spent the last several months navigating treatment for this chronic condition and, though I’ve tried to avoid it, a change in diet is what I need to do to help ease some of the inflammation and steady the hormone levels in my body. I’ve been cooking from Jessica Murnane’s book One Part Plant and reading what feels like a deeply helpful book Beyond the Pill. Thanks for letting me share that with you! (Amazon)
• Here’s some good news: The Most Effective From of Exercise isn’t “Exercise” At All. We can go ahead and give ourselves a bit more credit. (Quartz)
• I’m here to tell you that Cherry Bombe Jubilee is going to be incredible this year, and I’ll be there so come thru! (Cherry Bombe)
• Some of the best iPhone photos from around the world are worth a scroll. (Apple)
• The invitation is to get your red beans soaking today for Monday’s dinner: Red Beans and Rice. And this Mardi Gras Monday is my favorite parade, the Red Bean Parade. Everyone is an artist, it’s such a delight! (Joy the Baker)
• If you’re an Instant Pot lover, Jon made a Red Beans and Rice Soup for you! (The Candid Appetite)
• I’m very smitten with this wrap cashmere sweater from Everlane.
• If you missed last week, here’s what we talked about: Let It Be Sunday, 211!
• Here’s a time machine moment! Here’s what we talked about a year ago this week: Let It Be Sunday, 161!
I hope you have the most lovely day.
Happy Mardi Gras!
My love to you.
I’m so sorry you’re sick. I will never try to solve your problem by telling you about some random article I read on the internet. Thank you for feeling like you could share that with us.
Sending healing vibes your way.
I am Loving your blog man! Joy! keep up with the good work! Love your chatty way of writing. Keep sharing more <3
The cake hat part made me smile! Lovely post
Joy! I wishing that you find the answers you need on this Endo journey! I am reading Beyond the Pill right now too and it’s been really helpful navigating the “hormonal” waters!
Love seeing all the Mardi Gras celebration :)
All the well wishes your way my dear
The Red Bean Parade was our plan for Monday before everyone in our household got food poisoning :(