It’s been the most lovely week in New Orleans, mostly because the jasmine is in full bloom filling the air with the most delicious smell, the strawberries are showing off, and musical festival season has started. We’re feeling very fortunate. This time of year, New Orleans really shines her magic.
I’ve committed to taking care of myself this spring and for me that looks like yoga and meditation and really trying to get enough sleep even if that means not going out most nights. Can I just tell you how much it’s changed my energy levels? I know time is a true luxury, but my goodness I deeply recommend carving out as much time for yourself as you can. The steadiness it lends to most days is almost calculable.
The offering this Sunday is below. I hope you find a few gems and something surprising. As always, take what you need and leave what you don’t.
• So now we know what black holes look like and we have Katie Bouman to thank! (CNN)
• Ok Ok – listen… I’m all about feedback: You Are Not as Good at Kissing as You Think You Are. But You Are Better At Dancing. (The New York Times)
• This is the definition of the word AMAZING: A Photo Visit To Mount Fanjing. (The Atlantic)
• I can’t join you on this train but I respect that it’s leaving the station: How to get caught up on Game of Thrones – fast. I’ve seen the first episode of Game of Thrones at least 6 times because every dude I date thinks they’re going to be the one to get me into the show. Incorrect, but cool thanks for trying. (The Verge)
• Honestly, I’m into this and find it interesting. It is because we have CBD? What’s Behind the Elective-Sobriety Trend? (Medium)
• This weekend at The Bakehouse (my little New Orleans baking school) we’re making Strawberry Crumble Pies with incredibly sweet Ponchatoula Strawberries. We’re using a variation of this Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Pie but skipping the rhubarb and adding instant tapioca instead of cornstarch. (Joy the Baker)
• If you’re in need of an heart-pounding and beautifully inspiring movie watch The Dawn Wall. Maybe watch it twice in one week like I’ve done.
• Ok I know this is strange but I ran across an interview with The Everygirl I did gave way back in 2012. It’s kind of a trip and honestly I had fully forgotten that I was a personal assistant in my early twenties. I do give one bit of advice that I still stand by: You’re not the kind of girl who settles; keep not settling. (The Everygirl)
• Visionary Hilton Carter made us a gorgeous plant book: Wild At Home. (Amazon)
• Life is short so buy let’s buy ourselves the records you want. This week I found this: Van Morrison’s Veedon Fleece. (You know, to combat the fact that like might actually be long – we’re fortified with good music. (YouTube)
• The extent to which I am able to process and take on Julian Assange’s bullshit: An Ode to Julian Assange’s Embassy Cat, Who Deserves Better. (The Cut)
• I travel a lot and even in a shoulder carry on bag I swear by these Packing Cubes. They keep everything tight and contained, and if TSA wants to rummage around I don’t have my unmentionables strewn about. (Target)
• Thinking ahead to Mother’s Day presents for friends and I think these sweet food-inspired pendants from Delicacies Jewelry are really lovely. (Delicacies Jewelry)
• I just wanted to show you the Converse shoes you didn’t even know you needed: high-top leopard print. (Converse)
• The vibe this spring is to wear a very chic hat for fashion and for skin care. Hi! I’m almost 38 and I care very much about my precious skin. Goorin Bros. Ruben Gonzalez hat in dusty pink. (Goorin Bros)
Have the most lovely day!
My love to you!