Hello my dears!
Happy Sunday! Welcome to another – aren’t we fortunate?
I’ve spent the last few days in Pawhuska Oklahoma with Ree, The Pioneer Woman. We’re old friends since we were among a handful of other people blogging our little hearts out in 2008. She’s such a dear, and such a big deal now, and she was kind enough to open her Mercantile space (and The Boarding House) to me for a Bakehouse Nola style workshop on beignets. It was the absolute most fun making beignets and meeting so many of you. The Bakehouse Summer Tour is completely sold out (which is insane THANK YOU) but I wanted my favorite Sunday folks (that’s you) to know that we’re having another BakeAway workshop weekend this coming Labor Day! Find the details here!
I’m headed home this Sunday, hoping to find New Orleans unscathed by Hurricane Barry. It’s been a tense week of travel and hurricane prep. New Orleans is rightfully anxious about storms and this latest felt like a surprise to all of us, especially after very unexpected flooding last Wednesday. All of that to say, I hope we’re ok. We hold on to each other and to our city tightly this time of year.
Ok enough about me.
How are you? Are you enjoying these dog days? Tell me you’re getting through your beach reads and staying well moisturized. That’s work of a true adult.
The offering this week is below. Take what you need and know that I’m so thankful you’re here.
• For some perspective: How detained children are treated around the world. (The New Yorker)
• Can we talk about how Disney got actual nature a little bit wrong in The Lion King? Here’s what the lady lions want us to know, but they’re super chill about it because they’re runnin’ sh*t: In real life, Simba’s mom would be running the pride. (National Geographic)
• . Let’s continue to talk about ladies doing the dang thing: Photos of the 2019 Women’s World Cup Champions Victory Ticker-Tape Parade. Deserve! (The Atlantic)
• I’ve identified a deep fear I never knew I had: A man was swept over the largest waterfall at Niagara Falls. Don’t worry, he survived but whoa dude. (The Washington Post)
• Present and ready for my favorite bean to take over: In the Future, Everything Will Be Made of Chickpeas. (The Atlantic)
• Speaking of chickpeas, this is my favorite way to snack them: Cacio e Pepe Roasted Chickpeas. (Joy the Baker)
• I like a think again moment: The Architecture of Adult Entertainment. (Francois Prost)
• The Kitchn tested 4 famous blueberry muffins and found a clear winner… except I think they missed an opportunity with my Brown Butter Blueberry Muffins. Listen though… we’re all winners here. (The Kitchn and Joy the Baker)
• Look at this cutie Taupe Tote! (Everlane)
• The band Joseph has a new song out that I LOVE: Fighter. (Spotify)
Enjoy your Sunday!
My love to you!