I’ve been thinking a lot about habits. Since I’ve had more than a just few days back home in New Orleans I’ve settled quite nicely back into the routine. Routine. It’s been both comforting and illuminating. Like… there’s definitely parts of my morning routine that aren’t serving me (clicking onto Instagram within 30 seconds of opening my eyes) and I’m trying to be more conscious of how I spend my precious morning time. This week I got up extra early to ride my bike to the Quarter to go to the old coffee shop I loved when I lived there. It’s little things that are actually big, you know?
I have dear friends visiting town this weekend which means buttermilk biscuits for late breakfast and po-boys for all.
I hope this week finds you feeling steady and well. The offering this week is below. As always, take only what you need:
• This is my favorite read of the week: It’s So Much More Than Cooking – the mental labor of cooking and all its associated tasks. I remember being in a relationship and I came to have a real problem with the phrase I asked my boyfriend every late afternoon: “What do you want for dinner?” because the answer, whatever it was outside of “Don’t worry, I’ll figure out dinner” was about to be a load for me to carry. (This Week)
• This is a big and weighty read “Everything That You’re Feeling Is Ok” (GQ)
• This Is The Moment Rachel Maddow Has Been Waiting For – and what a time to be alive it is. (The New York Times)
• Keep it moving: Older Americans Are Increasingly Unwilling – Or Unable – To Retire. (NPR)
• Remember before Instagram though? The Rise of the Getting-Real Post on Instagram. (The New Yorker)
• My friend Whitney is on the finale of One Part Plant Podcast and has a really honest conversation about Miscarriage + Healing After Loss + Creating Family. (Jessica Murnane.com)
• This podcast episode from NPR’s Life Kit podcast has been really helpful to me: How To Get The Best From Your Doctor. (Apple Podcasts)
• Ok I’m just catching up here, but did you know people are making taco meat from walnuts!? Y’all, I’m into it! Minimalist Baker’s 10-minute Raw Vegan Taco “Meat”.
• A few Autumns ago, while I still lived in the French Quarter, I made this bread: Honey Oat Whole Wheat Bread. These days I’m experimenting more with gluten free yeasted bread baking and as soon as I land on something I’m proud of, I’ll share it with you! Gluten-free baking has been an exciting learning process, a winding road, and a little bit of a mourning for me so just bear with me, ok? (Joy the Baker)
• Hello, I’m instantly craving this Yellow Curry with Root Vegetables, Cashews and Basil. (Food 52).
I’m so glad you’re here.
Have the most wonderful day!