Hello dear friends.
How are you holding up? We’ve made our way to another sweet Sunday though much of the week feels more more unmoored than usual. That’s ok. We can still be lighthouses – the duty of such steadiness, for me, shifts from friend to friend as we ebb and flow through various states of freakedoutedness. That’s a word.
I’m writing this laying on my little backyard deck. I’ve literally never laid out here before and I can’t think of a single good reason besides the deep summer heat and incessant mosquitos (who miraculously have yet to decent upon New Orlean). We have other problems that need no mention.
In the distance I can hear some neighbors I can’t identify. A woman upset and a man less upset. A train horn. A trio of hammers on a rooftop. Several trees rustle. Normally I’d be writing this post inside (in something not a bathing suit), but when everything is different, why not just do everything differently?
I hope this finds you well and healthy. All of you. I think of how you’re feeling and who you’re feeding and if you’re cutting your own hair yet.
The offering this week is below. Take exactly what you need and don’t fuss with the rest.
• In rebuilding a broken world, we will have a chance to choose a life less hurried. I know not all of us have ‘a life less hurried’ right now – some of you are caring for the sick, caring for your families, working harder than ever and I appreciate you deeply. There is something here… something we get to choose. Something we have to remember not to forget. (The Atlantic).
• Those We’ve Lost: William Helmreich (The New York Times)
• Wild: What I learned from living a socially isolated life for the past two years. You’ll take a good deep exhale after this as I did, I’m sure. (Curbed)
• We’re all Larry Davids Now – actually pretty accurate. Have you seen the episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Larry David? He’s horrified by food, it’s hilarious. (The Atlantic, YouTube)
• In an act of sheer forward optimist, I’ve ordered summer peaches from The Peach Truck. (The Peach Truck)
• This week my friend Nicole did a homemade food swap. I made homemade hotdog buns and paired them with Seemore Sausages while she made pupusas and turnip burgers. This inspired next week’s kitchen adventure: homemade pupusas. (The Flavor Blender, Goldbelly, Bon Appetit)
• This weekend’s picnic meal: King Arthur Flour’s Sandwich Bread with my cold Turkey Meatloaf. Absolutely over the top but I’m making sure the last of my precious yeast goes out with a bang! (King Arthur Flour, Joy the Baker)
• Online baking workshops with y’all have saved me this week! Thank you for baking with me! I’m teaching two online workshops in April! They’re meant to be taken together. On Saturday we’ll make pie crust. On Sunday we’ll roll out our crust and make a strawberry (or Chess, if you can’t get ahold of strawberries) pie! How to Make Pie Crust and How To Make Strawberry Pie. (Eventbrite)
• New Orleans lost a legend but we still have so much from Ellis Marsalis. Please listen this weekend: Heart of Gold. (Spotify)
• The first weekend of April 2019: Let It Be Sunday,217 ! (Joy the Baker)
My love to you!