Me here. Joy. Joy Wilson. Joy the Baker.
That I greet us as friends each and every Sunday is no accident. That’s sincerely how I feel. If you’re here, if you’ve decided to come here beyond where google has landed you in search of a chocolate chip cookie recipe, I consider us friends. What I’ve seen the last few weeks in the comment section here has me feeling like we’ve forgotten we’re friends in baking, if nothing else.
Here’s the thing – I spend a lot of time in the kitchen making and sharing recipes that I’m proud of and my hope is that those recipes find their way to your kitchen and fortify you with the same pride. My work is to help you find joy and care to share in your very own kitchens. On Friday and Saturday I cull through the internet collecting links to things that struck a chord with me in the hopes that they strike a chord with you too, maybe give voice to a thing you’ve felt alone in or never even considered. It’s not groundbreaking, sometimes it’s just a purse I like.
I don’t want you to forget that I’m a person making my way through this year as best I can, just like you. This blog is free99 for you to enjoy and you have the agency to come here or not. Your declarations of disappointment in me, that since you come here and you’ve bought my books and now realize that we might have a political difference makes me feel like you’ve forgotten my humanity. This is me waving hey – it’s me, just a person with her own thoughts, feelings, and experiences. I’m glad you’re here. I want you to be here. It’s ok by me if we agree on everything just as it’s ok by me if don’t agree on much of anything besides cake. I’ve always thought that we have more in common than we have that separates us. Please don’t forget me as a person and not just a website. Please don’t turn this space that I’ve create for us into your political battleground. Please don’t forget that I consider us friends.
The offering this week is below. You know the rules, take only what you need:
• Why We Sigh and I am doing A LOT of sighing this year. (Vice)
• What A Simple Haiku Can Do for a Friendship (The Atlantic)
• What is the best compliment you’ve received lately? What’s the most thoughtful compliment you’ve given? I’m reminded of this old post on Joy the Baker this week: Compliment Club. Ok but like, why is it so hard to accept a compliment? (Joy the Baker and VerilyMag)
• I’ve been saving this You’re Wrong About podcast deep dive into Princess Diana for a long gardening day and I think today is the day! See also: Princess Diana’s Most Underrated Style Moments (Apple Podcast and Elle)
• Made my dad’s sweet potato pie filling this weekend and needed to make sure it could stay steady in the freezer until the big day: How To Bake and Freeze Pumpkin Pie Before Thanksgiving (The Kitchn)
• If you’re thinking of making fresh rolls for the upcoming holidays, these tips from King Arthur are super helpful: Freeze and Bake Dinner Rolls. (King Arthur Flour)
• This Southern Panzanella Salad is going to be on my Thanksgiving table. It’s a small table this yea so… more bread salad for me. (Joy the Baker)
• I’m brainstorming homemade holiday gifts and this a little off season but I want to make a few of these Basket Backpacks. (Delia Creates)
• This Chocolate Fudge Pecan Pie has stopped me in my tracks! It looks like it an underdone brownie pecan pie EXCUSE US! (Love and Olive Oil)
• While we’re talking about pie (and I’ll be talking about pie nonstop until the end of the year) let’s please discuss this Fall-Spice Pudding Pie with GF Nut Crust from queen Erin McDowell. She shared this recipe on Voraciously and if you don’t subscribe to the Washington Posts food section I really do recommend it. (Washington Post)
• My Sunday dinner is going to be these Crunchy Lentil Chicken Tenders thanyouverymuch Food52!
That’s what I have for us today and I’ll have a fresh pie recipe for you next week!
Enjoy this fine Sunday.
My love to you,