Hello friends and Happy Mother’s Day.
Please accept this, my favorite family photo. My parents, as cool as can be, memorializing this sweet San Francisco family vacation while I scream my fool head off for reasons known only to four year olds. My dad is holding me back, I’m pushing my mom and neither of them look even the slightest bit ruffled. I’m thankful for both of my parents but today is an important day to say wow mom, THANK YOU for being so kind and selfless and for the most important things in life: generosity and love and lighthousedness (new word).
This week was like trying to walk through knee-deep sand. Anyone? Anyone? I noticed that I was wrote the same thing on my daily to-do list everyday this week. Just transferring the same tasks from Monday to Tuesday to Wednesday like I wasn’t getting a dang thing done. I don’t know how to explain it. Maybe it’s the space junk (has that landed yet?) or the impending cicadas.
If you’re a mama reading this I want to wish you a very Happy Mother’s Day. What you do, especially the last year, is incredible and must be completely exhausting and I just want you to know that I root for your efforts. If you’re not a mama for whatever reason, gosh enjoy the fine May Sunday. The older I get the more I understand that this day can be triggery and if it feels that way for you, please know that I understand and I send you my love. It can all be complicated but it can also just be a beautiful Sunday.
The offering this week is below. There is some heaviness and some ease this week. Take what feels good to you. That’s the idea.
• I think we have to be willing to break our own hearts to understand one another. They Were Sons (Vanity Fair)
• Moms! How happy are you? And how many kids do you still have on the family plan? How Adult Children Affect Their Mother’s Happiness (The Atlantic)
• Last night at Target I found myself walking by the teeny tiny baby clothes aisle. I slowed my gate and thought to myself – do these little human clothes make me feel like I’m missing anything? No, they didn’t. Heading down the escalator I saw a mom balancing her toddler on her knee while squatting to find the right size sock pack. It looked like a very experienced mom move and for a brief moment I thought – that’s the sweetest thing in the world I should do that. I don’t know where I’ll shake out with motherhood but I enjoyed reading this peep into another perspective. Why Can’t I Stop Thinking About Child-Free Women (Elle)
• I love this so much: Three Women Share Their Later-In-Life Accomplishments. (Cup of Jo)
• Truly excellent points. I’m Not Languishing, I’m Dormant. This explains my week, trying to flourish when I need to chill. (Austin Kleon)
• Nearly Half of All Americans Believe They’re The Best Person They Know. Honestly, that’s embarrassing. Isn’t there a saying about if you’re the smartest person in the room, you need to find another room? If you’re the best person you know maybe you should get to know some other folks… just to test the borders. (Yahoo UK)
• Vaccine Side Effects Or Have You Just Been Alive For 40 Years. I’m calling it both. (McSweeney’s)
• In things I don’t have time for but aspirer to: Make Your Own Outdoor Cushions (A Beautiful Mess)
• Amy Chapman’s Vegan Macadamia-Coconut Panna Cotta looks delightful to me. Anything with macadamia nuts in it makes me feel like I am wealthy. (Food 52)
• I’ve had this tab open on my desktop for weeks now. Lentils with Broccolini and Feta. I promise one day I’ll reach for the jar of lentils instead of eating the feta plain for lunch. (Bon Appetit)
• Like a sandwich but a cobbler. Peanut Butter and Strawberry Jam Cobbler (Joy the Baker)
• There’s a new cutie Strawberry Bandana in The Bakehouse shop! (The Bakehouse Nola)
• Two new classes at The Bakehouse: Virtual Ice Dying and a Pizza and Pint Night. We’ll be adding more virtual and in-person classes next week but I just wanted to give you a peek at these. (Eventbrite)
• Will you join us on May 18th for a virtual event with Williams Sonoma? I’ll be baking cakes at you and answering all your burning questions. It’s free with a purchase of the Chocolate Neapolitan Cake Mix! (Williams Sonoma)
That’s all for today, friends. Have a wonderful day!
My love to you.