Welcome to a Sunday together!
I’ve been in a flurry this week shooting the last of the images for the holiday magazine which means I’ve had more bundt cakes in this home than is normal for any non-bakery building. These are sweet little egg nog bundt cakes made with my favorite small bundt pans which means I can bake TWO impressive little cakes from one batch of batter. It’s the little things that thrill me.
Honestly, at the start of the week I wondered if where I’d find the energy to make it through. The energy is there, usually… probably because my parents played a record with a song whose lyrics chimed “Be the best of you that you can be!” when we were growing up and that message echoes in my head even today so, we at least have to try.
This week I’m also thinking about what it looks like to put energy into our friendships. Post panini that’s changing, right? I feel like I’m still getting into the swing of life and friendship outside of the house. Now maintaining friendships means showing up for the birthday dance party on Wednesday night instead of working through the night or getting to bed at a reasonable time. Show up, dance – no regrets, truly.
The offering this week is below. I hope you’re cozy and well and find something that serves you.
• Now more than ever we’re fighting over who gets to vote and how. States across the country are dropping barriers to voting, widening a stark geographic divide in ballot access. (The Washington Post)
• Please take on this week’s long read. There’s so much complicated humanity, somehow beautiful. My Father Vanished When I Was 7. The Mystery Made Me Who I Am. (New York Times)
• #FreeBritney. (Buzzfeed)
• Divorce is Down But Will It Last. Four recently divorced people talk about how Covid impacted their marriages. This satisfies the part of me that is very nosy about other peoples’ relationships. (The Cut)
• Related – a quickie podcast Getting Down and Moving On with Dr Ruth. (The Atlantic)
• This classic Joni Mitchell song calls to me every summer: California (Spotify)
• In Food Blog Land, Jon made Watermelon Daiquiris and Deb made Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches. I still want to make Adrianna’s Miso Peanut Butter Cookies.
• Kendra Scott’s summer collection is cute. (Kendra Scott)
• This week’s skin care splurge is one of my favorites yet. It’s a clay mask that’s not drying, super glowy and brightening: Watermelon Glow Hyaluronic Clay Pore-Tightening Facial.(GlowRecipe)
• I’m still working on my 2021 Summer Bucket list. Have you made yours for this summer? Here’s last year’s. (Joy the Baker)
• You know I love a summer craft and I can feel myself about to go down a Marbled Clay Statement Earring rabbit hole. (A Beautiful Mess)
• I suppose we should all try these chewy Rice Krispie Mashup Cookies, right? (The Kitchn)
Question for you, friends! I’m working on redoing joythebaker.com. It’s high time for a little update around here. If you’ve been here for a long time, what’s your favorite Joy the Baker recipe? I’m going to be cleaning up the archives and want everything you love here for you and extra beautiful.
Have a wonderful Sunday, friends!
My love to you.
Smashed raspberry and chocolate chunk pancakes! Makes a small batch which is perfect for my pancake eating monster! (5 year old daughter)
I save your Let it Be Sunday emails until I’ve got time to really read through them and digest. So glad I kept this one for two weeks as I’ve just gone through it now and have written down some favourites that others have noted and I can’t wait to try. My favourite recipe of yours is the vegan avocado chocolate cake. I’m not vegan, but that is the MOST moist (hate that word) cake I’ve ever made and it’s always a hit. You do you and change up the site if you wish – it’s your blog after all – I’m here for all of it. But I hope that reading through these comments makes you realize that it’s not really the format that counts, it’s the content that you create that makes us love you.
The corn pancakes and the cardamom lemonade, easy.
Your Pepperoni Pizza Rolls, Tangerine Curd, English Muffin Bread, and Goat Cheese Guacamole are all essentials in my home!
Claudia Moreno Parsons
Those amazing cream cheese cinnamon rolls! I make them every year for Christmas or New Year’s morning. Mmmmm
Besides your chocolate frosting made with Ovaltine – actually perfect and so genius – my favorite recipes of yours are all breakfast things: all-the-blueberries buttermilk waffles, fresh herb and gruyere cheese puffs, mashed potato cheddar and chive waffles, and especially especially especially your brisket breakfast biscuits with that horseradish sauce!!
Your Marrakesh Carrot salad is on heavy rotation in my house. Everyone who tries it asks for the recipe!
Also love the best chocolate malt frosting. Your one of my top go-to resources!
Those are some of my favorites too!!
Hard to pick a favorite, but I haven’t seen the One-Skillet Dark and Stormy Banana Bread mentioned yet. That bread goes with me to the mountain every winter.
Caramelized mushrooms and dumplings ??????
The orange rosemary brown corn bread with brown butter because .. brown butter!!
My favorite recipe is the yeasted cinnamon rolls you did in a collab with king arthur flour. The ones with the cream cheese in the dough. My family looks forward to them every Christmas morning :)
I love your peach cobbler biscuits. Actually, all your biscuits and scones. Five stars.
I would love if you did some updates (like a 2021/2022 refresh) of your older recipes!
Tomato cobbler with blue cheese biscuits
Peanut butter banana bread
What a treat to read everyone’s comments! I’m taking note of the favorites! I’ve sent nearly every friend I have to your pie crust posts. And printed and mailed it to Mom. I have your pie dough and crumble topping in my freezer at (nearly) all times. Plus, whenever I’m in charge of bringing a dish to pass, I use your recipe search first. Change it how you need it, but I really do love your recipe archive.
I LOVED reading through everyone’s favorite recipes!
A few (emphasis on few) of mine are:
-Spiced Mulled Wine Fruit Bars
-Strawberry Pie bars
-Peanut Butter and Jam Cobbler
-Homemade Egg Nog w Rum
-It’s Not Summer Yet Greek Pasta Salad
-All the pancakes
Love being able to come here with a vague idea of what I want to make and finding many great recipe options!