Welcome to a Sunday together!
I’ve been in a flurry this week shooting the last of the images for the holiday magazine which means I’ve had more bundt cakes in this home than is normal for any non-bakery building. These are sweet little egg nog bundt cakes made with my favorite small bundt pans which means I can bake TWO impressive little cakes from one batch of batter. It’s the little things that thrill me.
Honestly, at the start of the week I wondered if where I’d find the energy to make it through. The energy is there, usually… probably because my parents played a record with a song whose lyrics chimed “Be the best of you that you can be!” when we were growing up and that message echoes in my head even today so, we at least have to try.
This week I’m also thinking about what it looks like to put energy into our friendships. Post panini that’s changing, right? I feel like I’m still getting into the swing of life and friendship outside of the house. Now maintaining friendships means showing up for the birthday dance party on Wednesday night instead of working through the night or getting to bed at a reasonable time. Show up, dance – no regrets, truly.
The offering this week is below. I hope you’re cozy and well and find something that serves you.
• Now more than ever we’re fighting over who gets to vote and how. States across the country are dropping barriers to voting, widening a stark geographic divide in ballot access. (The Washington Post)
• Please take on this week’s long read. There’s so much complicated humanity, somehow beautiful. My Father Vanished When I Was 7. The Mystery Made Me Who I Am. (New York Times)
• #FreeBritney. (Buzzfeed)
• Divorce is Down But Will It Last. Four recently divorced people talk about how Covid impacted their marriages. This satisfies the part of me that is very nosy about other peoples’ relationships. (The Cut)
• Related – a quickie podcast Getting Down and Moving On with Dr Ruth. (The Atlantic)
• This classic Joni Mitchell song calls to me every summer: California (Spotify)
• Kendra Scott’s summer collection is cute. (Kendra Scott)
• This week’s skin care splurge is one of my favorites yet. It’s a clay mask that’s not drying, super glowy and brightening: Watermelon Glow Hyaluronic Clay Pore-Tightening Facial.(GlowRecipe)
• I’m still working on my 2021 Summer Bucket list. Have you made yours for this summer? Here’s last year’s. (Joy the Baker)
• You know I love a summer craft and I can feel myself about to go down a Marbled Clay Statement Earring rabbit hole. (A Beautiful Mess)
• I suppose we should all try these chewy Rice Krispie Mashup Cookies, right? (The Kitchn)
Question for you, friends! I’m working on redoing joythebaker.com. It’s high time for a little update around here. If you’ve been here for a long time, what’s your favorite Joy the Baker recipe? I’m going to be cleaning up the archives and want everything you love here for you and extra beautiful.
Have a wonderful Sunday, friends!
My love to you.