Hello dear friends! Happy 4th of July weekend! I love this particular weekend of the year. It feels like we’re smack dab in the middle of summer with way fewer urgent Friday emails and more Mondays off.
This week my heart has been with everyone affected my the condo collapse in Florida. It’s just the scariest thing when the unfathomable becomes our reality. I don’t know what more to say about it, but it’s been on my mind nonstop.
I’m headed off for a weekend camping trip in Jasper Texas. I’m mostly looking forward to making shortribs over the fire, spending time with Will (of course), and listening for fireworks in the distance. Also watermelon. Also cherries. There’a a lot to look forward to.
What are you looking towards this weekend? Tell me something good.
Currently reading: Outlawed by Anna North (I can’t put it down.) Currently eating: vegetables from my sister Launa’s garden sent all the way from California (see the bb artichoke pictured above). Currently craving: the Wilson Family Texas Sheet Cake.
• A transcript of The Declaration of Independence Have you looked at the paperwork? We’re an imperfect but hopeful lot. (Archives.gov)
• A vintage article I read this week: How Much Suffering Can You Take? So far, about 8 miles worth. (The New York Times)
• Speaking of suffering. It’s hotter than the human body can handle in Pakistan. So, ya know. (The Telegraph)
• No one asked for this and yet, Flash Mobs Are Back Baby. What, did we not get enough of this second hand embarrassment in 2011? I think the difference in this decades iteration of flash mobs is that they’re smaller and everyone is used to people make Tik Tok videos in public so we very much don’t care anymore. Thank you to my friend Karlee for bringing this all to my attention on Instagram. Karlee what have you done? (Vice, YouTube, Instagram)
• Cheryl Sparks is so chic, here’s a week of outfits. (Cup of Jo)
• Some of the best advice I can give you is to read every book Toby recommends. Here’s Toby’s Summer 2021 reading list. (What’s Up Moms)
• I’ve got my eye on this point and shoot camera recommended by my photographer friend Trevor. It’s the kind of camera you can have lying around that anyone can pick up and take pictures with. It’s not your phone. It’s such a Dad-Camera, waterproof and shockproof – it’s going to be my summer adventure camera. (B+H Photo)
• Thank you so much for all the feedback about your favorite old recipes here on Joy the Baker. It was really so helpful and wow y’all really reminded me of some old gems here. I completely forgot about the Peach and Raspberry Crumble – you can’t go wrong with that super summer combination. I’m working the next few month on updating old recipes on the site. For those of you who like JtB just as it is, don’t fret – all the good stuff will be here in mostly the same fashion. I just digging into the nuts and bolts of the back end to clean things up. In terms of updates, see: Cookies and Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies. (Joy the Baker)
• The Bakehouse Nola is taking the summer off but we’ll be back with a full line of classes and events in the fall! I’ll also be teaching a few classes very casually on Instagram Live on July 10th and July 19th if you still want your baking fix!
Have a wonderful weekend, friends!
My love to you.