Rich and crispy, you’ll want to savor every perfect bite of these cookies and cream chocolate chip cookies. They taste like chocolate chip cookies grew up; they are delightful without being too rich.
Recipe updated June 29th, 2021. This Cookies and Cream Cookie is one of the best chocolate chip cookies and one of the most popular recipes on Joy the Baker and has been updated in images and recipes! Please leave reviews and comment below as you make and enjoy these fine cookies! xo Joy
What are cookies and cream cookies?
Whenever I hear the term “cookies and cream,” I think of Oreo cookies. I took a basic chocolate chip cookie recipe and elevated them with the addition of Oreo cookie crumbles. The result is a cookie that has double the chocolate flavors and is a touch richer and sweeter.
They are so stellar, gooey, and delicious that you might only be able to eat a few at once sitting. But then again, they are also pretty addicting, so you might end up eating more than one.
How do cookies and cream cookies compare to chocolate chip cookies?
I think these are sweeter than chocolate chip cookies. The Oreo cookie crumbles make them taste almost like an ice cream sundae in cookie form.
The addition of Oreo cookies also made these cookies flatter and crispier. They aren’t as soft or thick as chocolate chip cookies.
What pantry ingredients do I need to make cookies and cream cookies?
These cookies use some basic pantry ingredients that you probably already have on-hand. Brown sugar, all-purpose flour, both baking soda and baking powder, and vanilla extract. You’ll also need some butter and an egg.
Don’t forget about the chocolate chips and Oreo cookies, of course!
Why do you add powdered milk to cookies and cream cookies?
Powdered milk makes the cookies taste richer and creamier without throwing off the moisture-to-dry ratio in the cookies. These are crispier cookies with a rich and chocolatey flavor, so powdered milk is essential.
What is the best type of flour to use in cookies and cream cookies?
Use all-purpose flour in these cookies. If you can’t eat gluten, then use an all-purpose gluten-free flour.
What type of baking chips can I use in these cookies?
I used milk chocolate chip. This one place you can change things up without any problems. Use dark chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, or white chocolate chips.
What type of Oreo cookies taste good in chocolate chip cookies?
I just used regular Oreo cookies. You can even get away with store-brand chocolate sandwich cookies (and save a few dollars).
Try this with mint Oreos or your favorite flavor. It’s fun to make different flavors of cookies.
How to make the best cookies and cream cookies
There are two ways to make incredible cookies. The first way is to use browned butter.
Browned butter adds a nutty richness to the cookies, as evidenced by Dad’s Perfect Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie.
For today’s incredible cookies and cream cookies, we’re using cream cheese to make a tender, moist, and divinely decadent cookie. Perfectly chewy around through the center and crisp around the edges.
1. Whip butter and cream cheese together
Start these chocolate chip cookies by first whipping the softened butter and cream cheese together in a medium bowl.
The two fats have slightly different consistencies, so to ensure the two play nice together, make sure that they’re both very soft. This might even mean popping the cream cheese in the microwave for a few seconds to get any chill off.
2. Beat brown sugar and egg
Secondly, we beat the brown sugar and an egg into the butter and cream cheese mixture. Use an electric mixer for this step – you will want the speed it gives you.
3. Add vanilla extract
Lastly, before we add the dry ingredients, we’ll beat in a dash of vanilla extract.
You’ll notice that the batter feels almost stretchy! That’s the cream cheese doing us a great favor and the start of perfectly chewy cookies.
4. Mix dry ingredients
Next, in a separate small bowl, whisk together all the flour, milk powder, leavening, and salt (even though it dirties another bowl, I know!).
5. Combine dry and wet ingredients
Add the dry ingredients all at once to the butter and sugar mixture and beat until just combined. Avoid overmixing the dough.
You may find that powdered milk is a bit grainy. Not to worry, it will absorb the liquid in the batter and ease before baking.
6. Add remaining ingredients
Lastly, stir in the Oreo pieces and chocolate chips.
7. Let the dough chill
Refrigerate the dough for at least an hour before baking to re-chill the fats and allow the flour and milk powder to settle and absorb the liquids.
8. Bake the cookies and cream cookies
Portion the dough balls into generous tablespoon size portions and place a few inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake at 350F until just golden around the edges. I like these chocolate chip cookies a tad underbaked and just a touch gooey in the center.
Once baked, cool the cookies (that you don’t eat straight from the oven) on a baking rack!
Other cookie recipes you may enjoy
- Fluffernutter Peanut Butter Cookies
- Lemon Curd Easter Egg Sandwich Cookies
- Taylor Swift’s Chai Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- Gluten-Free Cereal Sprinkle Cookies
Cookies and Cream Cookies Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 32 minutes
- Yield: about 24 cookies 1x
- Category: cookies, dessert
The best chocolate chip cookie recipe made with milk chocolate chips and big chunks of Oreo cookies. A chewy on the inside and crisp around the edges perfect cookie inception.
- 4 oz. (half a block) cream cheese, well softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 113 grams) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (62 grams) dry milk powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups coarsely chopped Oreo cookies (about 18–20 cookies)
- 1 cup (170 grams) milk chocolate chips
- In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the cream cheese and butter until light and creamy, about a minute. Make sure that both the cream cheese and butter are very well softened to avoid any lumps. Add the brown sugar and egg and beat on medium-low speed for 3 minutes until pale and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, milk powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in the chopped Oreos and milk chocolate chips.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap (or cover the bowl in plastic wrap) and refrigerate for at least 1 hours, or overnight.
- Place a rack in the center and upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spoon out dough balls – a heaping tablespoonful of dough for each cookie. Place on the prepared baking sheets, providing at least 1 1/2 inches between each cookies. Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes, until edges begin to brown but the middle is still a bit gooey! Cool before serving to allow them to hold their shape.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for as long as your will power will allow.
- This recipe can also be made GF with an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend from Bob’s Red Mill or King Arthur Flour.
- Serving Size: 24
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, cookies and cream, cookies, chocolate, joy the baker, easy baking, dessert,
Photos with the wonderful Jon Melendez.
what kind of milk powder do you suggest – non fat or whole milk?
Hello there! I think it’s whatever you can get your hands on, I believe non-fat is the most readily store available one but I don’t believe it would make a huge huge difference. Happy baking! :)
Can these be frozen?
Just wanted to come back and say I LOVE THESE COOKIES AND SO DOES EVERYBODY WHO BAKES THEM !!!
I usually double the recipe because then I use a whole block of cream cheese, a bag of chocolate chips, and a family size pack of oreos and it’s perfect, though a good workout for my standard mixer.
MAKE THESE AND YOU WONT REGRET IT!! And yes, just buy the milk powder. No subs.
I meant everybody who eats them… I got too excited.
I’ve now made these several times and they are my favorite cookie to bake AND eat! The first time I made them they looked exactly as they do in the picture. Every time after that they have refused to spread out while baking. I have no idea what changed, but I’m hoping to figure it out next time! In any case, these cookies are so delicious that it truly does not matter how much they spread. I’m obsessed and so is everyone else I share them with. :)
Needed to leave a comment to let you know these are my favorite cookies ever and I keep making them and sharing the recipe with everyone I know. Thanks!!
Why did the recipe disappear?.
Amazing! Just had one of these fresh from the oven and they are so delicious and happy.
Looks delish!!! How many cookies does this recipe make??