Hello friends. Welcome to another fine Sunday!
As you read this I’ll be on my way to Puerto Vallarta Mexico for a short trip with my friends Whitney and Dean. The three of us turned 40 this summer and we’re all going to Mexico about it. I hope to cross surfing off this year’s Summer Bucket List and if what I attempt is less that surfing then I’ll just change that part of the list from “Surfing in Mexico” to “Choking on the Pacific in Mexico”. I’ll take it as it comes.
This week was spent cycling through working, running, sweating, managing, emailing, hydrating, and just generally fussing with this little summer life. I made Twelve Cupcakes with One Stick of Butter for no / every reason. I stand by that decision.
I hope this finds you with a lot to look forward to today. Enjoy it all. Drink some water. The offering this week is below. Last week a reader expressed frustration that some of the links below are behind paywalls. I understand – that’s why I disclose the destination at the end of each blurb. Not everything online is free. I happily pay for the journalism that’s important to me so you’ll see some of those pieces linked here. As always, take only what you need:
• This week’s long read came from my friend Suzonne who texted this to me Saturday morning just as I was sitting down with toast and coffee. I’m paying it forward and hope the same for you. The Jessica Simulation: Love and loss in the age of A.I. (The San Francisco Chronicle)
• Last week I linked an article about the new Anthony Bourdain documentary. The director’s mention of simulating Anthony’s voice using A.I. creeped me out and I’m not alone: The Ethics of a Deepfake Anthony Bourdain Voice (The New Yorker)
• Here’s what it sounds like when Malcolm Gladwell overanalyzes a Disney movie. Morality and law. Revisionist History: The Little Mermaid Part I. And it’s going to be a three part series so buckle up. (Apple Podcast)
• The eternal (well not really, but at least since the 2000s) question: Why Are People So Awful Online? The words and exhaustion of Roxanne Gay. (The New York Times)
• Does Everyone Do This Weird Thing On Vacation? Yes of course. I own a house on the beach in Greece (there’s a fig and pomegranate tree) and an apartment in Mexico City in my vacation imagination. (Cup of Jo)
• Three women discovered they were dating the same man…. and wow what an epic road trip. Lemme find out my dude is dating a bunch of other women. I’ve been looking for excuses to buy a bus. Majorly kidding, I’d crumble. (The Washington Post)
• Our friend Erika tested 9 different yeasted glazed doughnuts for us.(YouTube)
• This Lemon Cherry Icebox Pie was the sleeper hit recipe of last summer. I LOVE an icebox pie! If you need an easy fancy summer dessert, this is for you! (Joy the Baker)
• This weekend I made scones using the Oatmeal Cookie Pancake Mix. Turns out theses mixes can be just about any treat you’re willing to experiment with! Find the whole Joy the Baker x Williams Sonoma Breakfast Collection here! (Williams Sonoma)
• This Raspberry Cake Roll pleases me. But honestly, roll any cake and I’m delighted. (Food52)
Have such a great day!
My love to you.