Hello friends! Welcome to Sunday!
I was lucky enough to spend most of my week at a fancy pool in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico with two dear girlfriends who also turned 40 this summer. For years Whitney, Dean, and I called ourselves the DeCadillac sister after a silly and mildly boozy night in New Orleans when we made up posh alter-egos. My name is Claudette DeCadillac and she can mostly only be found on vacation ordering more tacos and a her second margarita. She’s a very fun time, but never too posh to make an absolute fool out of herself trying to synchronize swim in a shallow pool. That about sums up out sister vacation.
There’s something so lovely about pressing pause the way vacation can encourage. It’s such a luxury to just floating through a summer day into the next. Now I’m back in New Orleans, watering the very thirsty plants and according to my best intentions I’m unpacking my suitcase before the weekend’s end.
I hope this finds you well, with at least a few minutes to yourself this morning. It’s another summer Sunday and I hope your big plans include cold watermelon and some sort of body of water (for me, it’s walking down to the river today). The offering this week is below. Take only what you need:
• The Story of Simone Biles. We’ll all just let a woman take care of herself and we’ll respect it. I mean… you’ll find me getting “the twisties” if I stand up to fast and that’s without Olympic pressure so, it’s cool Simone. You can absolutely chill if you want to. (The Daily Podcast)
• Are You Allowed To Criticize Simone Biles? A decision tree As you might guess, the answer is “no absolutely not, but thanks for playing”. I wish more of life were as clear cut as a well designed decision tree. (McSweeney’s)
• This week’s long read is fascinating: Portrait of a Professional Baby Maker (Neo Life)
• Our screenshots, ourselves. Screenshots Tell The Real Stories of Who We Are. My screenshot folder is filled with Internet food I’ve seen and want to make, weird DM’s I get from people, songs I want to remember, maps(?), and other people’s questionable Instagram choices. (The New York Times)
• Currently, a lifestyle: The Science Behind Sweat (Outside)
• Swimming Gives Your Brain A Boost. Alright alright I’ll get back into it! (The Conversation)
• Let this Banana Foster Upside Down cake give you some feels. And just imagine how good it makes the house smell! (Joy the Baker)
• Why It Feels Like This Year Is Going Too Quickly. Maybe this will serve as your invitation to take it easier on yourself. (Apartment Therapy)
• Today we’re at number 333 of Let It Be Sundays! Can you believe? Let’s take it back to another memorable number: Let It Be Sunday, 222! May, 2019.(Joy the Baker)
• Deb’s Zucchini Butter Spaghetti. All at once summery and comforting and the words “butter” and “spaghetti” are truly two of my favorites. (Smitten Kitchen)
• These Taco Hot Dogs are the food mashups of my actual dreams. (The Candid Appetite)
• Soak thy beans. (Joy the Baker)
Have the most wonderful Sunday, friends!
My love to you.