The theme this week? Sunny days.
Hi friends. Welcome to this fine Sunday.
I found myself watching my favorite Boston bank robbery movie (wait, too specific a category?) The Town staring Ben Affleck and Jeremy Renner this week. Come for the Boston accents, stay for the bank robbers dressed as old nuns and impossible car chases. Actually, stay for Blake Lively’s performance. Actually stay for Ben Affleck putting in work on the pullup bar. ANYWAY, a “sunny day” is a code phrase in that movie that changes everything and expresses Claire’s real and true love for Doug, the bank robber with a heart of gold. No one loves this movie more than me. Can you tell?
I had a phone date with a friend it Pittsburg and it sounds like the winter is already taking its toll. It sounded very much like she needed a sunny day (an actually sunny day) and I’m working on a care package to send her some sunshine. This idea is inspired by this forever endearing care package Emily Schulman shared this week.
Tron agrees. He’s sprawled out in the afternoon sunspot on the hardwood floor as I type.
Really though, we could all use some figurative (if not literal) sunshine these days. Here’s my offering in that category. As always, take only what you need (and go watch The Town).
• I think it was early 2020 when a friend suggested I listen to a podcast called Reality Riffing with Guru Jagat. I gave it a strong effort for several episodes knowing full well I prefer a podcast about murder or real housewives hosted my ordinary people who don’t call themselves gurus but – I persisted. I lost the plot early, but really just wondered if there was actually a plot at all. The skeptic in me heard lots of words, but their connection to one another seemed dicey, at best. ANYWAY – too early one morning, rather sleepless, I fell down a Guru Jagat rabbit hole and I’d like to invite you to do the same, starting here: The Second Coming of Guru Jagat. (Vanity Fair)
• This is my favorite read of the week: The Perpetual Rage of Motherhood (The Cut)
• How even? : How Alexandr Sorokin Ran 100-Miles at a 6:31 Pace (Outside)
• Listened to this episode of You’re Wrong About on Tammy Faye Baker. It’s an episode re-released with a new intro that I found very thoughtful. There’s so much value in digging deep enough to really understanding someone’s story, their motivations, their circumstances. It’s empathy and it’s also love. I felt the same about this The Daily episode about the Life and Legacy of Sidney Poitier. (Apple Podcasts)
• Controversial opinion but excellent points: Stop Fetishizing Old Houses (The Atlantic)
• You know I’m going to be talking about Mardi Gras for the next two months so I’ll just leave all of the King Cakes I’ve made so far right here for you. Prepare yourselves. And eyes on these elevated Mardi Gras sprinkles (minus the green but hey we can add a few green tones if we wanna). (Joy the Baker and Fancy Sprinkles)
• I wonder if the cats have freed the blender. (Instagram)
• The editors at Bravo KNOW to how make a trailer and deserve some sort of humanitarian award. I am present and available for Season 12 of The Real Housewives of New Jersey. Oh the plastic surgery. Oh the insults. Oh the drinks thrown. It’s so bad it’s next level good. (YouTube)
• A Running List of Everywhere Carrie and Friends Eat or Drink in “And Just Like That…” and can we all agree that Episode 7 was nearing great and far less painful that episodes 1-6? Actual question. (Eater)
• I have a very very cute jewelry collaboration (and special discount!) with my friends at Delicacies Jewelry comin’ atcha next week! I think you’re going to love it so be sure you keep your eyes peeled here next Sunday.
Enjoy your Sunday, friends! I’m sorry I talked about The Town so much.
My love to you.