Anyone else having a casual Crisis of Fashion? There’s something about the change in season, my increasing age, and the banishment of skinny jeans that has me simply confused/baffled/bummed about what to wear. It’s not so much about sliding my 40something year old self into the latest trends which… 90’s fashion is trending, friends and I’ve already done it. I’m also gently and willingly on way up in sizes and after months of being uncomfortable in jeans from 2019, I’ve decided I deserve clothes that fit my body and bring me joy.
But WHAT ARE THOSE CLOTHES? I think I’ve found them for myself and I thought I’d share.
Let’s talk general aesthetic because I’m not just whipping money out of my wallet without attaching it to a well considered vibe. The general aesthetic is three words I’ve defined for myself so when I’m out rummaging the thrift stores, I stay in my self-determined lane. My forever aesthetic is: classic French cowgirl. She is not one person – she is many people, she is a vibe.
All the trendy Tiktok girlies have transitioned from Coastal Grandmother to Coastal Cowgirl but this is more that alliteration. And I KNOW, I fall in love with a Texan and it’s all turquoise and cowboy boots but honestly, it really just appeals to me and feels comfortable and classic.
Classic – we’re talking loose men’s button down shirts, straight jeans, tortoiseshell glasses, white sneakers, a good heel, a perfect nude lip.
French – we’re talking sex appeal, ease, slip dresses, square necks, open backs.
Cowgirl – we’re walking denim on denim, turquoise, quality cowboy boots, yes absolutely a Stetson, good leather well worn.
Is this cool? I don’t care. Does it feel cool to me? Yes, and that’s all that matters.
• We all want different things from our denim. It’s very personal. I want a classic straight leg. Medium wash. Thick and non-stretch jean. When it comes to jeans I’m into a hard pant. I LOVE a Levi because they’re nostalgic and they still make great quality, long lasting denim that won’t completely break the bank. These Levi’s 501 Two-Tone Jeans have been my favorite find this year. They’re classic with a subtle Punky Brewster mismatch that I think will carry me for years to come.
• As a denim on denim monster, this Essential Western Denim Shirt pairs well with all my hears and clearly leans hard into my cowgirl aesthetic.
• I won’t talk myself out of how much I love this belt. I think silver and turquoise moments age well and this kind of belt is also great for belting long dresses.
• I could forever live in a crisp men’s button down shirt like this Tomboy Shirt or this Crinkle Gauze Shirt. But the best men’s shirts are always at Goodwill, second hand, nicely worn in and the price is right!
• I love a flowy short dress with long sleeves like this Noemia Dress from Sezane for spring. Sexy with a little shoulder coverage because it’s not all the way hot just yet. And these Pyne and Smith linen dresses transition really well into summer. I have a few I’ve worn for years and they’re workhorses!
• I don’t have patience for a full makeup situation, especially as the weather warms. You’ll find me in a tinted sunscreen, this perfect Clinique Fuller Fig a-little-more-than-nude lip gloss, and this easy smudgey brown shadow pencil.
• For body care, I’m slathering myself in sesame oil just out of the shower. Basically, I’m edible.
• One of my toxic traits is that I cannot keep track of earrings. One is allways disappearing I can’t explain it. It’s useless to me have any type of costly earrings. They just have short lifespans in my care. I humbly buy a bag of very cheap gold earrings and ride with em for as long as I have em.
Now, do share! Do you have an aesthetic? Sound off in the comments below!
(And thank you to Will for taking this picture of me on his lunch break.)