How was your summer? I became the Scottie Pippin of summer by launching a friendship tour across our beautiful nation, catching up with friends from various stages of my life. It was an incredible exercise in reconnecting with some of my dearest people + parts of myself that had fallen to the wayside over the past few years. So I’m urging you to start your 2024 Summer of Friendship itinerary right now because I promise promise promise you won’t regret it.
August links are below and have a fabulous weekend!
• When I started a new job last week, I texted my mom, “Do I have to wear a bra AND makeup?” We compromised on just the bra. But I have been swiping this on my cheeks & lips real fast every morning and appreciate the extra dose of color + sun protection. (Amazon)
• This vid came out months ago, but I swear at least half a dozen friends have DM’d it to me with some variation of, “This reminded me of you!!!!” Let me tell you something: I get the hint. (Twitter)
• Let’s help the people of Maui by supporting this food bank. (MauiFoodBank.org)
• Since enjoying a funnel cake at the fair a couple weeks ago—then almost feeling it return to sender on the rollercoaster—I appreciate Lyz Lenz’s post on the agony and ecstasy of the state fair. (Men Yell at Me)
• An inspiring teacher’s take on why she’s staying in education: “We’re staying not just because our kids need us, but because we need our kids, and we’re going to stay with them as much as we can.” (Teen Vogue)
• When y’all almost canceled me last month for linking to a big ol’ racist (whose name I won’t dare mention again) I decided to listen to this Emily Nussbaum pod on the country music culture wars taking place in my beloved Nashville. (New Yorker)
• Adding Joy’s One-pot Hamburger Helper w/ Veggies to my weeknight rotation next week even though deep down in my heart I know I’ll be the only one in my crew eating the veggies. (Joy the Baker)
• This kid-friendly mix was a hit at our last party so I made it public. Lemme know if you have any songs to add! (YouTube)