I have very fond memories of a stained red tongue, way sticky fingers, and a messy stained t-shirt from those convenience store/ cherry-sweet slurpees. You know… the ones that come with that long plastic straw with the scooper on the end? Heaven for an eight year old. Follow that slupree with a good run through the sprinklers and I’m pretty sure there was nothing better.
We’re grown now (right?). We have bills to pay and really… I don’t think we give ourselves enough time for slurpees.
Say hello to adult slurpee-ing featuring fresh raspberries, lime, and hallelujah for gin!
We can skip the sticky fingers and stained shirts these days, but I really wouldn’t be above a god run through the sprinklers.
Fresh raspberries are just gorgeous these days. The trick to this recipe? FRESH raspberries (preferably organic and purchased on sale) that we rinse clean and freeze ourselves overnight.
This way we know we’re getting this best that these Summer days have to offer.
Ice cubes, frozen berries, lime juice, and sugar.
Sparkling water to loosen the whole mixture. Gin, because. Feel free to skip it if you’d like. Just add a bit more water.
Blend until thick and completely smooth. There will still be seed bits. I hope that doesn’t bother you.
Served up nice and frosty with straws and spoons and lots of friends.
Because they’re frozen, these slushies melt pretty quickly in the Summer heat. Enjoy immediately oorrr, divide between glasses and freeze. If you freeze them overnight they’ll become much more solid and ice-y. Still delicious! Just more like a raspberry-y snow cone. You’ll need a spoon.
Adult slushies with fresh summer fruit, bright time, and a little bit of gin. They’re reason enough for a backyard party. Fire up the grill and get those sprinklers going! (Never too old to run through those dang things.)
- 2 1/2 cups ice cubes
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup(s) sparkling water
- 1/2 cup gin
- 6 to 8 tablespoons granulated sugar (depending on the sweetness of your berries and your sweet tooth)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 10 ounces fresh raspberries, frozen
- Lime wheels for garnish
- In a blender, combine ice, sparkling water, gin, sugar, lime juice, and frozen raspberries. Blend until thick and smooth. Serve immediately with straws and lime rounds.
- I've found that these slushies can also be blended, divided into cups, and frozen overnight. The consistency will be different, much more of an ice-y than a slushy. In this case serve with a spoon.